Desperate times call for desperate measures

Q. What does that expression “Desperate times call for desperate measures” mean?
A. It means that when people get into trouble, for example financial trouble, they may be “backed into a corner” and feel forced to do things they wouldn’t normally do in terms of survival.

So it has been this Thanksgiving weekend when out of the blue S.C. RudeGON (a play on words and spelling with S.C. RudeGAN featured writer with the Pass Herald) appeared on stage with his/her rendition of the FACTS on local municipal politics and issues in CROWSNEST CLAIMS VS. FACTS.

Why this person used someone else’s name is a mystery? But nevertheless this deep throat with facts and figures only an insider would have has been successful in getting people talking. Unfortunately, it has been more about who this person is rather than the arguments he/she is trying to present. Some talk has it that this person is either the CFO or CAO for our municipality. Who knows?

One thing we do know is that he/she has singled out the Ratepayers Association and their allies. This is a switch since in the past it is the Ratepayers who have been slinging the arrows with mayor, council and administration doing their best to defensively fling them aside. This time the roles are reversed, with the Ratepayers now the target while seemingly unwilling or unable to defend themselves against accusations thrust upon them. Instead, they are relying on distraction (who is this person) while throwing out ‘propaganda’ accusations of their own, hoping this will suffice in lieu of actually having to deal with what S.C. Rudegon has laid down on their doorstep.

Seems they can dish it out but can’t take it. From start to finish S.C. Rudegon makes the case for extremely poor judgement on the part of their mayoral candidate, to questionable motives and discerning priorities behind their president’s actions and real reason for running for a council seat, to clear examples of naiveté and inexperience by some to fudging of facts and figures by others. Not a pretty picture. In fact, it is an ugly picture. One that seems to suggest that this community could very well find itself going from the frying pan into the fire, if we ditch the one and go with the other.

Therefore my friends there is only one reasonable course of action this community can take and that is with leadership that is neither old school or new school, by going with the “middle-way” approach as I have been advocating for since the beginning of this municipal election. With strong practical leadership that plays no favourites, makes no pie in the sky promises, having the experience and knowledge to get the job done in putting an end to our feuding here in the Pass, while taking us forward with a balanced approach that favours working together rather than at cross purposes, building community rather than tearing it apart, that is progressive rather than regressive, wanting to instill optimism and hope rather than defeatism and despair. In other words, we need to bring back the spirit of the Pass, our ‘Mountain Freedom‘ mentality of looking at the world from the top of the mountain (rather than from the narrow confines below) knowing we can do anything, if we just put our minds to it.

S.C. Rudegon (pseudonym for the Municipal office?) believing as he/she does, I think, that the Ratepayers with their obvious inexperience and immaturity would be worse than what we have now, in wrongly taking this community back in time. Although they (mayor, council & adm.) themselves have been wrong in ramming through unwanted and unnecessary change, rushing us forward by putting the cart in front of the horse so to speak, in not ensuring we had the economic generators in place beforehand and thereby the means and ability to pay for their grandiose plans, they have now saddled us with.

So the choice is simple, do you want more of the same old same old with leadership that doesn’t listen, taking us all on a hell bent course towards financial ruin, or to go backwards with slash and burn tactics that prove to be regressive rather than progressive, which ensures status quo rule by the ‘good old boys’ where it is more for the greedy and less for the needy, and where its not what you know but who you know that counts.

The “middle-way” does away with all that crap that has only brought economic and social stagnation and decline to our community.

It’s time for change. Be the change you want to see in the Pass.

Vote experience. Vote Prince

www.johnprince.ca

Past is a nice place to visit but certainly not a good place to stay.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Desperate times call for desperate measures

It’s interesting how on the Pass Herald website the name is spelled RUTIGAN on the Who’s in Charge editorials until you click on the story and then name changes to RUDEGAN.

I could not stand this council and will not vote for even 1 of them. You can argue the “facts” all you want. Ask yourself if you were happy with this council. If yes vote them in. If no vote for the others. My picks which are very unlikely to change are:
    Prince
    Ward
    Kovach
    Lazaratto
    Antcil
    Strenbicki
    Glavin

Unfortunately my picks are based more on eliminating others than actually thinking these are the best. They are the best of the worst.

Too late for the battle of the Facts. Just get out and vote!

You say that the new council would be hellbent on bankrupting this community. Decoux stated that he still had 52 new ideas from the blueprint for disaster strategic plan and his work had to continue. That is the road to bankruptcy as any fool can see. If the council had demolished the Center right from the get go then the cost would have been paid for by now. What the hell leave the headache to the new crew. What else is new???
    Your middle way record is sounded old and worn out John . You have a week to invent a new track.

I have to admit I was going to vote for Blair. After reading your blog’s and thinking outside of the box, you will get my vote. I still think you a nut job but you are what this town needs.

Glad to see I top your list, and that I am in good company too. :-)

Let’s be fair. Both old school and new school have been tried and have been found wanting, whereas the “middle-way” has not. Give it (and me) a chance first, before simply dismissing it, is all I ask. In other words, “give peace a chance”.

Totally agree! ;-)

I agree with your about “out of the frying pan and into the fire” if Blair Painter gets In. I dont think people are looking far enough Into the future as to what will happen here with him as mayor. They better think long and hard about the best choice.. .the best choice is you hands down. You have no personal gain and nothing to lose..you are here for US.

John, I’m not sure I agree that the information on Rudegan’s Blog had to come from an insider in the Municipal Office. That just feeds into the Ratepayers’ “everything is a conspiracy” mindset. More importantly, pretty much everything Rudegan has posted is public information — one just had to be paying attention for the last three years or do a little research. Of course the Ratepayers couldn’t be bothered. They’re quite happy to spread misinformation and garbage, like the videos Dean Ward allowed on his blog (since removed).

I posted some comments regarding Blair Painter over the weekend, but I made the mistake of posting them under the thread concerning the forums. That thread is so far down on your blog that I don’t think anyone has seen them. So John, if you don’t mind, I’m tacking them on as part of this post.

Here’s my take on Painter, and why he won’t be getting my vote.

Fire Department: The first time I ever heard of Painter was way back when he was being interviewed on the CBC. He did not come across well, to say the least. Overall, I think his participation in the Fire Department kerfuffle says a lot about him, and it’s not good. In the end, in judging how Council and the CAO handled the situation, I can only say the Underwriters assessment tells it all. With our rating having improved dramatically from 8 to 4, as judged by independent people in the industry, that’s all I need to know. I suspect Painter knows that too, since he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to change things back to the way they were. Good on him for that, but the reality is he showed extremely poor judgment at the time, and good leadership starts with good judgment.

Business Experience: As part of his platform, Painter is making a big thing of his business experience. Well, if I was to make a list of the most poorly run businesses in the Pass, Home Hardware would be at the top. Who of their customers has not had the experience of standing either at the front cash or at the order desk, waiting for a staff member to show up. I’ve even had staff members look at me from the back of the store, only to go about their business as I stood waiting at the front cash. Who hasn’t tried to purchase an item from the sale flyer, only to find they don’t stock it. Who hasn’t asked a question of one of their minimum wage teeny-bopper staff, only to find they (not surprisingly) don’t have a clue about anything they’re selling. Who hasn’t gone in to buy a commonly used item only to find they are out of stock. I could go on, but I suspect everyone recognizes from personal experience, what I’m saying. For contrast, see how things work at the competition, True Value Hardware. Thanks, but I don’t think we need Painter’s business skills in the Mayor’s Office.

Performance at the Forum: Painter did ok in delivering answers to questions (keyword being “deliver,” since the content was mostly fluff), as long as he had the answer sheet that John Pundyk had prepared for him. In the debate portion, where he had to think on his feet, I thought he performed very poorly. Another key part of leadership, is having the skill to make informed judgments when presented with unexpected situations. Painter did not exhibit that skill. And the planted questions from Bill Kovach were a joke — surely the Ratepayers can do better than that.

VOTE FOR JOHN. He has no personal vendettas unlike Blair.

I really think those videos that Dean Ward posted were disgusting. Kind of a desperate move in my opinion. He really is the first to cry if something he doesn’t like happens to him. I wonder if people will see this before voting day.

I am sure Blair Painters business will thrive if he becomes mayor….no more Tru Value for the municipality I am betting. Which is a way better hardware anyways.

I think it’s too bad there is this public smearing of all the candidates who care enough about our community to actually run for a position to make us better. Instead of picking apart everyone who is running, why not go through each candidates strengths and figure out who would do the best for us? See what each candidates strengths are and assess how they would work with each other. No sense ripping apart Community Futures and Ratepayers and any other committee out there who is trying to help the Pass, time is better spent doing research and using common sense on who to vote for.

To 12:58, that is what happens in an election. Are you new to the process or something.
    And yes, you do have to rip apart special organizations if need be. Things have been shoved under the carpet way, way too long.
    Time for dust up, don’t you think.

The last week of the election brings personal attacks which are not warranted. For example, posting someone’s property information on the internet is a line that should not have been crossed. This displays not only desperation, but also poor form.

Now we have a contest between people who claim to represent truth and fact trying to sway voters. Claiming to stand for truth is the oldest trick and trademark of every despot history has ever recorded.

According to Farmer’s Report, Crowsnest Pass municipal organization is in total disarray. The problem is simple to pin point, lack of proper communication right from the Council table all the way down the line.

The management style at the council table is very antagonistic and very top down. If this is not changed, things will only get worse and taxes will rise to pay for even more administration.

The choices are clear, do we want to build an affordable community where people get along and enjoy living here, or do we want to continue with a failed social experiment which tried to replace everything, even things not broken.

No personal attacks here. The map in question is public information which can even be found on the wall at the municipal office, in the Land Use Bylaw and which also can be purchased separately for $6.
    I have no argument with you on the rest of what you have to say.

12:58 PM
    Are you absolutely sure the Ratepayers are trying to “help the Pass”? They seem pretty self-serving to me. Particularly with a realtor in the thick of things.

Done. Voted.

John Prince X

Thank you! ;-)

Right now there are a group of administrators that are cheering for certain people to win and certain people to lose. Who really knows what the facts are any more I just want to see this election over.

Jack

GRASSY MOUNTAIN COAL PROJECT OPEN HOUSE

Please join us from 5:30-7:30 pm on Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 at the Crowsnest Sports Complex to discuss the Grassy Mountain Project. For information please contact Morgan Tanner at 778-320-0409.

I dont believe BP is capable of cleaning up after this past council.

Today I voted JOHN PRINCE! I have never voted for you in the past because everyone says you are a nut case. I read your blog and have to admit you are a bit of a nut case. But those self serving groups who fear you, have gone out of their way to undermine and antagonise you, and out of pure frustration of trying to get us to see the light you often made it easy for them. But reading what you stand for, seeing what you have fought for for years and watching you in the debate, it became clear you are the only one (of the three) capable of doing what needs to be done here. Good luck John!

In a few lines you’ve just encapsulated my life here in the Pass. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and for your support. It means a lot to me knowing people like you are finally seeing the real me. Best!

Hi John, I had visit with a friend of mine from the Pass that mentioned you were running for the hot seat. Best of luck!
    Dan Stoddart

Hi Dan,
    Aren’t you a voice from the past. :-)

Yes, I’m a sucker for punishment dealing again with the same David and Golith situation in which the masses cheer for the lions against the Christians. The Pass Herald did a hatchet job on me again a week before people go to the polls and my main opponent is spending money like a drunken sailor on signs and advertising like he found a Brink’s truck full of cash. :-)

Think we’re headed for more of the same ‘good government’…. Crowsnest Pass style. :-(

Unfortunately, it looks like nothings changed here Dan. Stay where you are.

It was good hearing from you again, though. Best!

Well everyone,,,why not have someone to blame by all means blame the ratepayers who have spent 16 months opening your eyes to the truth and now you can’t accept it. You don’t deserve the consideration and effort.!!!

Ok Anonymous 9:54, so we’re all supposed to be thankful to the Ratepayers for their great public service to the community. What a joke. Here’s what they actually accomplished.

They wasted hundreds of hours of Municipal staff time with their endless requests for information.

They polarized the community with their intimidation tactics as they collected signatures for their stupid petition.

The petition, submitted in the hope of the removing all of Municipal Council, the fourth such request in something like 14 years, made residents of the Crowsnest Pass look like a bunch of ungovernable hicks (see the recommendation in the inspection report, for a “viability study”). I guess we’ll know next week whether perception is reality.

Anyone who has read the inspection report will see that the whole exercise was unnecessary.

There’s no reason why anyone should be thanking the Ratepayers for anything. They’ve been a negative influence and who knows what the long term economic impact of their tantrums will be. God help this community if we end up with a Mayor and Council linked to such a group.

Blair Painter claims the municipality is out of control with respect to spending. Is he not himself out of control with all the signs he is putting up? Makes one wonder what he will do with our municipal dollars, if given the chance, doesn’t it?

Diane

Election is an election, just go out and vote for your favorite candidate. This is the best way to earn a right to complain later, or not to complain.

Anon 11:21AM : I get it, you’d don’t like the ratepayers. Had the present mayor, council and Adminstration done their jobs, we wouldn’t have had the petition. Can you honestly say that we are better off than we were 3 years ago, financially and operationally?

I’m sure the time spent could have been much less if the administration had kept good records and taken shorter coffee breaks. Guess the next thing you will say is because of the ratepayers we need more office staff.

John, I have hope for this community. I have hope also, that the next time a group of malcontents get together and form a petition to oust a duly elected Council (whoever that may be), that the good citizens of Crowsnest Pass will give their heads a shake, and simply shut the door.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:23,

It doesn’t how strongly you feel about certain issues but that IP address posting was totally uncalled for and can result in major repercussions. Use a name if you must.

Please think and govern yourself accordingly.

Good move John,

Posting IPs is a slippery slope. Good call. And I left out the “matter” in that post.

Get it through your thick heads. The petition didn’t say it was held to oust the current council It was to open an inquiry into mismanagement of the community’s resources. If that doesn’t clarify anything then it’s like talking to a bunch of idiots who don’t understand what they were signing. Get real

What was the name of the woman that sign the petition to have a say on Council???????

4:45,

Perhaps 2500 people signed that petition. Are you inferring that anyone that signed that petition shouldn’t have the ability to put their platform forward and be judged by the electorate? Please give your head a shake.

I think 4:45 is referring to Marlene Anctil.

I’m sure that several of the ratepayers who are now running for council had no intention of running until things evolved with the Inspection report and its “findings”. So to say that there is or was a master plot doesn’t hold water. I hope that several of them do get elected to council and speak for those who singed the petition. They represent a fair number of citizens and voters. Go Ratepayers.

Wrong. All the Ratepayer exec. running in this election announced their intentions to run long before the release of the inspection report, except for Bill.

Agree with 8:43
    That’s because they were so sure of their success before the release of the inspection report. Bill needed to shore up the troops by running for Council.

If it wasn’t for the Ratepayers this council would have done even more damage. The Ratepayers held council somewhat in check.
    Do you guys like this council? This was the worse council ever in my opinion. I do not care who you vote for as long as it is not an incumbent.
    I would take my chances with any 7 as long as it is not an incumbent. There is no way that we could be worse off than with this council.

to 8:47.
    You could get a lot worse than this council. Don’t ever kid yourself. I am voting for some incumbents and some new ones.

Anon 9:14 I have seen a lot of councils in my life and this one is the worst I have ever seen. The mare and the lemmings were one united group and do not deserve my vote. All kidding aside, I know you can end up with worse. I will take my chances.

“I know we can end up with worse”
    Please explain??
    How can it be worst?????