Being Red, I’m so Blue I could cry

I’m so Blue I could cry

The people have spoken and over 60% said “no way, Jose” to the HarperCONS win, and yet, because less than 40% voted for him and his party we now have a despot in power having a majority government? This is too Orwellian, even for me?

Our friend Chloe said it best, “The despot and his duly elected cabal are now free to start tearing down medicare, CPP and cancelling just about every program that makes life better for the disadvantaged.” I agree and would add a meaner, greedier, intolerant, unforgiving and baser form of government has been elected to run ramshod over us all and as a result, god help us all!

When the media refuses to inform and the public no longer questions, that truly is the beginning of the end of democracy.

On the positive side, I am glad to see the Greens finally get a seat, and that it is Elizabeth May who will occupy that seat. I expect her one voice to be like a fog horn at sea sending out a deep booming blast from time to time warning people of impending danger, while at the same time reassuring those on board that someone is on watch.

The orange wave obviously did not sweep far and wide enough as expected although it did carry far enough to give the NDP the most seats they have ever had and a place as official opposition which is an historic break through for the party.

In my opinion Iggy and the Liberals did not deserve what they got and we as a country are now poorer as a result. Will the inevitable now happen with the merger of the Liberals with the NDP, or will they rebuild to fight another day?

I’m sorry for Duceppe (but not about the Bloc) as he will be missed. Straight, honest talk is hard to find in Ottawa.

All in all, last night can best be summed up by the following quote “it was the best of times, it was the worst of times”… and now, it is time for progressives to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and prepare to fight again, for it is but a battle that has been lost, the war is still winnable, just not today, but for sure we will win tomorrow.

In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice, and often the good suffer, and often the wicked prosper, and one hardly knows which of those is the more annoying.

This entry was posted in Canadian Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Being Red, I’m so Blue I could cry

“I am hurt, but I am not slain;
    I’ll lay me down and bleed a while,
    And then I’ll rise and fight again.

Thank you for this. It made for a good read and my readers will be pleased. Joni did an excellent job!

Just one small point to make: the full electorate for this election was roughly 24.5 million Canadians – and just under 6M voted for the Harper Cons (25%), while 8.5M (35%) voted for the other parties and 10M (40%) DID NOT VOTE at all. So your comment above is actually worse – it’s really “three qiuarters of Canadians who were eligible to vote did not cast a vote for the Harper agenda”.

I think this last point is worth making over and over. And the case for some form of Proportional Representation is obvious.

More canadians cast a vote for the Harper agenda, than for any other agenda. So stop your crying and accept it. Its called democracy.

3/4’s, that’s 75% did NOT> vote for the HarperCONS. Do you get that Mr. Democracy?

You are right, 75% did not vote for a coherent agenda (Harpers). They either did not vote at all ( i.e dont care one way or the other) or voted in such small numbers for diverse crackpot agendas on which it would be impossible and indeed undemocratic to run a country.
    Tough if you are one of them, but it is still called democracy. Learn it if you can.

“Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.”

No points from a major league ignoramus. I can live with that.

Good! Live long, live free, brother. :-)

10. So if we did Proportional Representation the 40% that did not vote which party would get their seats?

Dean Ward

The Maxist/Lennist party of course. :-)