The role of Mayor

Mayor's role

Mayor’s Role

The role of Mayor isn’t about a particular issue. It’s about the ability to lead in order to achieve our vision for the future. The values I can bring to the job is that I am inclusive, genuine, have a respect for different perspectives and am a strong believer in a complete community. The competencies I can bring to the table are that I have extensive experience in the field of municipal politics, am a strong communicator and have very strong working relationships locally and provincially. My approach will be to always be well-prepared, action oriented and willing and able to take a leadership role.

What I will not be is one who makes pie in the sky promises every other week while never actually delivering on any of them. Or to deliberately mislead and deceive people about my true intentions with respect to the fire department, for example. Because of a poor judgment decision of mine in the past that lead to the chaos that ensued.

The most crucial element of true leadership is honesty. That is what people look for in leaders, is honesty and trust. Is he being honest with me and can I trust him to put my best interests ahead of all others? Then its, is this the type of fellow who can deliver or is he full of hot air as what our present mayor has been accused of? Will he be independent of mind and purpose or will he be weak, easily mislead and played with as a puppet on a string by those who put self-interest ahead of the common good?

A council made up of Bill and Shar for example is a scary proposition for these two come from a culture of secrecy and intrigue where it is the custom of the organization they represent to break rules all the time in order to maintain the status quo in achieving their ends. Will Dean be the de facto mayor some ask? If so, will it be by design or by subterfuge? After all, he did orchestrate a coup of sorts against Mayor Irwin when last on council. If members of the Ratepayers Executive are successful in getting in will they be as bad (or worse) as what they will be replacing? Some will say, if they are, it will be okay because hey, they’re one of us…. ha, ha, ha, ha. :-(

If, as the word on the street has it, Decoux is done like toast in this election, and the next council is made up primarily of the above, who as mayor would ideally be best suited to curtail the excesses of this motley crew? The answer should be obvious.

The role of mayor is to lead…. not follow. To lead one must have the following attributes:

Top 10 Qualities That Make A Great Leader

With the deepest sincerity and humility I say to you my reader, I have the above leadership qualities…. in spades! My opponent does not. End of story.

www.johnprince.ca

Winners are not people who never fail but people who never quit.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The role of Mayor

According to FOIP (see below) when a draft bylaw, budget or policy is tabled for discussion in open council or committee meetings it becomes public information. This is the same rule we are familiar with at the provincial and federal levels. MLAs and MPs are free to share and discuss these draft documents with constituents after they have been tabled in the legislature.

The current council thinks this information is none of our business until it is finalized and rubber stamped by council.

As a council member you will have copies of these draft documents. Will you share them with the public?

Local public body confidences
    23(1) The head of a local public body may refuse to disclose information to an applicant if the disclosure could reasonably be expected to reveal
    (a) a draft of a resolution, bylaw or other legal instrument by which the local public body acts, or
    (b) the substance of deliberations of a meeting of its elected officials or of its governing body or a committee of its governing body, if an Act or a regulation under this Act authorizes the holding of that meeting in the absence of the public.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply if
    (a) the draft of the resolution, bylaw or other legal instrument or the subject‑matter of the deliberation has been considered in a meeting open to the public, or
    (b) the information referred to in that subsection is in a record that has been in existence for 15 years or more.

(I am asking this of the five blogging candidates and Bill by email. Are there any others that have online contacts?)

Bonus points for a simple “yes” or “no” answer.

Yes, start asking questions at the “Seventh Hour”.

Yes. I have no problem with transparency and find far too much is presently being done behind closed doors that shouldn’t be. My council will ^not conduct its business in secret. Subject to the following caveats of course: land, labour and legal.

In Mayor’s letter.

3) Crowsnest Business & Community Town Hall Meeting – Thursday, October 17th, 2013 @ 7:00 pm at the Blairmore Elks Hall location! Please come out to engage with local business & community representatives in effort of providing a voice for business and community development for Crowsnest Pass as we want to hear directly from you – the citizens of Crowsnest Pass. (We need to give recognition to what we are doing right and what services could be improved upon to ensure Crowsnest Pass is a competitive and thriving community that is receiving the recognition it deserves!)

JP 12:53
    Thanks, so far I also have yes from Dean, Sasha, Shar and Jamie.

“land, labour and legal”

The legitimate reasons for secrecy are in the FOIP Act. The most common for municipal councils are:

Disclosure harmful to business interests of a third party
    Disclosure harmful to personal privacy
    Confidential evaluations
    Advice from officials
    Disclosure harmful to economic and other interests of a public body
    Privileged information

These have been interpreted very narrowly in favour of freedom of information by OIPC commissioners. I hope you will get some good advice on this (not from our FOIP Coordinator).

5:41 :
    I walked past, didn’t go in. You’d think they could at least tape a sign on the door if the public is supposed to be welcome.

What’s this taping a sign on the door business? It seems that you knew all about it, it was your choice not to go in, not their fault that you didn’t.

9:12 :
    I didn’t know all about it, I just walked by and noticed what looked like a private meeting with a few people sitting around a table. I saw the post by 5:41 when I got home.

Whatever they were trying to do at this “Town Hall Meeting” , they didn’t get the message out effectively.

9!12
    You are just plain IGNORANT?????

The mayor will be talking to his supporters and waited until the last minute to call a meeting. He was coached by his manager or PR guy. Too little, too late and anyone who falls for this deserves the government we have now. Hope not many attended this BS meeting.

The final desperate gasps of a dying regime.

The new Municipality website reminds me of the Obama care health plan. Work in progress with Error messages everywhere. Is the supposed $80,000 spent on this final edition all spent, with improvements to come, or are we on the hook for more money to get this thing up and running? Perhaps the rush to get this out before its ready and election time, is the mayors way of proving he is doing something. Same old same old. Will it again fool most of the people this time around…….hope not.