Do we need an attitude adjustment? Damn right!

Attitude Ajustment

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem.

As my regular readers can see in my last few posts I have been expanding, by way of stand alone posts, on some commenters comments. This here is another good one that deserves more than what a simple reply can provide.

Anonymous said…
If you go down the road of ” social justice” as an election platform you are barking up the wrong tree. You will turn off the few supporters that you now have. Focus on the problems at hand — chuck the elite class bashing and “woe is me” underclass and deal with the issues at hand like: overspending, over hiring of office staff, shortage of outside staff, closing/selling municipal buildings, poor maintenance of infrastructure, right sizing the fire department, open muni meetings, regular townhall meeting for voter participation, and the like. Forget the broken or unfulfilled promises of the mayor, and tell us what you would do to make this a better place to live for everyone. What do we need and how do we go about getting these.

Becoming a social advocate is not what we need here in the election process. Some of the social problems you mention will be solved through good council decisions. Other social problems are out of the realm of local government. I do not see the downtrodden as you call them organizing and advocating for themselves. If they expect the local goverment and others to do it for them and expect more entitlements to be given without a fight, they are living in the wrong era. Our society and system are all screwed up and people are out there working and scratching for a living and have less sympathy than in the old days when everyone pitched in and helped.

There is as much an age structure and attitude difference here than class difference, as well as the typical present era indifference you mention. The question is: How do you get the oldtimers, workers, non workers, and young people to get out and vote. If you can’t then expect the same results as last election.

July 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Traveling down the “wrong road” for social justice and equality for all in a hard-pressed community run by the establishment class for their benefit only, at everyone else’s expense? I think not! Read the Affordable Housing Study.

Although, I do agree with you when you say “I do not see the downtrodden as you call them organizing and advocating for themselves.” And they probably won’t (can’t) for two main reasons best summed up by the following quotes: “The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all of your time” and “News: Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame poor people.” The odds are stacked against them. That needs to change! An attitude adjustment is required here. Maybe I’m the change they need, maybe not, but I gots to try.

All the issues you mentioned that I should deal with have been dealt with by me on numerous occasions on this blog. More on this by candidates during the actual election phase will, I’m sure, be expanded on, if not beaten to death. Most of this is a given that should be obvious to everyone by now as to what the priorities should be and what needs doing to correct that which needs correcting.

I agree, the mayor’s track record speaks for itself. No need to keep belabouring it or regurgitating that which has been done, or left undone. Time, instead, to move on.

Now we get to what really interests me in what you said about what I would do or bring to the table.

First, I would not promise the moon and then not deliver. In fact, I ain’t about to promise anything… I can’t deliver. Except for one thing. ATTITUDE! That I promise and will deliver. Attitude is everything. Especially “positive” attitude. Without it, nothing gets done. “People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.” I’s got attitude (besides all my other great qualities, attributes, skills and experience) and that should make all the difference in the world when compared to my rivals, and to those with a brain who can still reason and think, for themselves.

What will the choices be? The present mayor or one of his proteges? 2510 signatures on a petition and word on the street say that ain’t going to happen. Maybe, as I’ve been hearing on that same street, a local business person, a neophyte with no prior municipal experience who most likely will be a one trick pony pushing only to reinstate the former fire department organizational structure, along with its many volunteers? If that is all this community cares about then maybe it’ll happen, but don’t expect much more than that.

Who else? At this time we don’t know but what we do know is “Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.” So I guess that leaves me out, or at least it has in the past. Will history repeat itself as it did last election? Only if I allow my name to stand. And by doing so, possibly let history repeat itself by having dimwits here vote again for a name, not knowing the man.

My, my, what should I do? :-] Maybe I should run in the hope there are fewer dimwits this time around that have learned from their past mistakes and now finally realize a good thing when they see it? And that is moi. A Prince of a fellow… with ‘attitude’. :-)

In closing, I know the gods are on my side for they are speaking to me now as I write this with Thunder and Lightning louder and closer to me than I have every heard or seen them before. THOR speaks! And what he says is “the sword of destiny is in your hands… “STRIKE!!!” “Take no prisoners and ask for no quarter as you fight for social justice and equality for all!”

Blessed by the Gods. Well, now there’s a dream worth living for. ;-)

There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Do we need an attitude adjustment? Damn right!

And queue the crazy talk….

People need to move on from the fire department stuff. Get over it. Not the end of the world.

People need to realize they are under contract, so when the time comes to renew said contract, don’t. Problem solved.

Maybe if we thought we had gained something with the fire department changes, we would not be bothering you with our prattle, 2:27. There was much more content in this post other than ‘fire department’ but looks like that is all that you saw. Perhaps you’re the one that needs to move on??

John, not a bad post but there you go again. Reference to “Those with a brain” and “dimwits” detract from your message. After all are not these the people whose votes you need to win? Plus, without knowing the field in the election, how can you put yourself on top of the heap? Best horse in the glue factory, as they say?

As for the thunder and lightning you mentioned hitting near you, I think I heard ” shucks, I missed him again.”

As the previous mayor said ” every time you dig a little dirt you lose ground” or a variation of this. A very good statement to heed, as you proceed.

Oh sure, rain on my parade and stick me with a lighten bolt why don’t ya?

No serious, good points. Sometimes I do get carried away but that’s because… I gots ATTITUDE. :-)

7. Doomsayer says:

“A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality.”
    ― Winston Churchill

John, the above quote certainly suits you to a “T”. Your comments are blunt, in your face & to the point, you’ll never change & I think many of us hope you never do. We certainly know exactly what you are about.

However, your “tongue in cheek” fun comments about the gods, etc I fear are wasted on the average “dimwit”, as per Anonymous@1:25. If they don’t get a little sarcastic humor, tell them the hail we get is actually meatballs coming down. You could win on the “free lunch” ticket!

“The POSITIVE THINKER sees the INVISIBLE, feels the INTANGIBLE, and achieves the IMPOSSIBLE.”
    ― Winston Churchill,

Doomsayer,
    Thanks, I needed that. Your pertinent quotes and perceptive and astute comments is what keeps someone like me going with hope and optimism for the future. Best!

Can you imagine if 1984 were released today? No one would read it.

THOR is trying again…… Head for the basement, John!!!! He is closing in, or perhaps his target I’d the Municipal building?

I told HERCULES to tell THOR to cut it out. It should be quiet now until tomorrow night at council, when the Hammer of THOR comes crashing down on those infidels who do the devil’s work. :-0 :-)

I thought there was one this week too, but then I looked on my calendar, its not till next week!

July 16
    Governance & Priorities Committee Meeting – 2:00 pm
    Council Meeting – 7:00 pm

Only one meeting in July.

I’m not moving on from the fire department stuff. It still sticks in my throat, and it’s very uncomfortable. It’s got to go down, or be pulled back up, but as long as it’s sticking there, it’s bugging me. The situation is not over, the questions are not answered so there is no “moving on.”

I agree with 2:27 how can we forget all the wrongs that this bunch has done. I guess that is why they get away with things. They know there are too many short term memory people around here.

Yes, unfortunately some people are like dogs with a bone.

Woof, Woof

Pro or con re the Fire Department Fiasco, this is the nexus for the problems of the community. Forging ahead without regard for the wishes of the people and the economic implications, the Mayor hardheadedly set the scene for revisiting the issue. Too many people were affected, too many uneconomical changes were made, too many personnel were hired and too many “in your face” statements and actions were made by the mayor, council and administration.

So this is an issue and will remain so. Those who prance around pointing to our new improved fire department do not recognize that they are in the minority. The upcoming election will show this. The other actions of taken by the mayor just pile onto the fire department issue. They are a building pile of manure getting hot from the inside and will self combust by election time.

To all those folks that feel this FIRE DEPARTMENT stuff was a get over situation UP YOURS!! There where ALOT of really great individuals affected by this political sanitizing and we have been forever changed because of it!! Whether you like it or not!!! Yes we have a acting Fire department now but I can bet this area will only be a training post for the most of theses young individuals as there is not enough ACTION to hold them here…hence a volunteer fire department who still had the own work but responded to a call when it happened,!!! Whatever you feel is only what you feel but we and fire department households ONLY KNOW what our guys have gone thorough! Betting you could ask many of the Municipal workers and they have a version not to your liking!! Why do you think we have no public works staff visible as they once where..THEY ARE NOT HAPPY!!!
    See we have a new hotel…OOPS not!! Haven’t heard anything from the Learning Centre development or the GREAT Coal Mine…REALITY people we need reality and you can’t face it! Lies, lIes, lies!!!

You must learn that things change. Some good for some people, some bad for some people. Suck it up and go on. It is not the end of the world restructuring the fire department.

While it isn’t the end of the world no, for all the studies being done you would have thought the one for this would have included something about the damage it would do community wide when it came to volunteering in general. There were boards not being filled why? Because no one would volunteer to go on them. Submitting dates were constantly being pushed back for them all the time. So how is it in a volunteer based community it was never factored that an act like that could damage volunteering quite a bit. As far as risk/reward ratio goes even the villiage idiot can tell you that was the DUMBEST way to go about doing it anyone could possibly suggest. The damage from all of this could have been mitigated a fair bit if people actually thought the process through.

Anon. July 9, 4:22 PM ok, if I buy your premise that some of the changes that have been made are good for some people, please give me several examples. Who has been helped by what changes, other than the fat-cat salaries paid to the new Administrators/Directors. What were the REAL savings made and what were the improvements made to the fire and other existing programs and the benefits from new programs. If I MUST learn that things change then enlighten me, O Wise One.

I’m with 6:34 on that, speak to us 4:22. Speak some examples or end your empty rhetoric.
    FW

4 22
    You are stuck in first and don’t even try to get out to second you will hurt youself.
    The point is when you distroy a volonteer Fire Dep. you have distroy all other good meaning volonteers in the Community.You know as well as i do these small community can not function properly without a good supply of happy energic volonteers.
    This is the results of our MARE doing with all his PONYS looking after themself only.
    Why don’t you stand up and admet this week is your turn to wash the MARE ass.

Nobody forced the volunteer fire dept to voluntarily resign.
    I could see your point 3:59 if they had been told to hand in their pagers.
    When you make a decision, you live with the consequence.

Anon 7:10 PM – I guess we are on different wave lengths with you and perhaps several others regarding the fire dept issue. So be it. But as you say, “when you make a decision, you live with the consequence.” So too will the Mayor, the Council and later some of the Administarion live with the consequence of their decisions.

The election will determine who is right. Can’t wait, and I really do hope that you are wrong. But hey, maybe that silent majority is out there, is enjoying the changes made, and wants more of the same.

From what I can see, the consequences are pretty hard to live with. Houses, parks, streets destroyed. You live with it 7:10. We are going to change it for the better, the story is not over yet, just a few chapters.

7:10 :
    When Bruce makes a decision, we live with the consequences.

When you take a “follow orders and shut up” approach to volunteers there are consequences.

I’m not sure if he consciously set out to destroy volunteerism or if he imagined there would be an endless supply of unpaid flunkies marching obediently to the beautiful music of his Strategic Plan.

Gave a boost to the leftover camper today. He was saying what a great deal it was for camping this weekend, $20 for the whole weekend, (and I believe today is Tuesday, so that’s a real deal!) He was saying how he just did the “Death Race” in Grand Cache and they paid $25 a night there. Had a great time here, and the price should have been at least $25 – $50 a night. He also mentioned how there were hundreds and hundreds of volunteers in Grand Cache, and only a few here. Hmmm……wonder why that would be?? Maybe thats called “living with the consequences?”

P.S. He also mentioned that the potholes were crazy. More consequences???

I’m kinda praying for snow, to maybe fill in some of those potholes. There was some hope, a couple of weeks ago, the mess of them at the intersection south of the central 4 way stop got filled in, but boy, am I getting tired of dancing around that crater just to the north of the 4 way stop. Just might scoop up some gravel and do it myself. Well, I’ll give it another week. Who knows, miracles could happen??

At the end of the day the fire departments were overstaffed along with one too many stations. This could have been dealt with in areasonable manner and consultation but was dammed down the throats of everyone by a rabid administrator. It is now down but needs to be cleaned up and have reconciliation with the remaining volunteers in a positive manner.

@john you will likely not be able to deal with your temper and most people know that. Everyone still remembers the incident with roger…. Good, bad, justified or not the police were called because of your implied bullying. Too bad because at the end of the day you do have or try to do what you think is in the interests of the cnp. Not unlike our past mayor who you did not see eye to eye with but both had /have their own idea of the best route and path for the cnp in mind.

History will likely show that both were only partially correct but both were / are zealous advocates of mountain freedom.

Cheers

And out with those that are not in it for the absolutely best for the cnp as a whole.!!!!!

9:22 wrote
    “He was saying how he just did the “Death Race” in Grand Cache and they paid $25 a night there. Had a great time here, and the price should have been at least $25 – $50 a night. He also mentioned how there were hundreds and hundreds of volunteers in Grand Cache, and only a few here. Hmmm……wonder why that would be??”
    The “Death Race” in Grand Cache appears to be a non-profit, unlike Gallant’s for-profit operation on municipal property (but that’s OK because he has the non-profit Boys & Girls Club in the middle to make it legit).

(Nothing against B&G, but they are being used).

So John if we have you plus a neophyte running for Mayor Decoux will probably get back in with a minority of the vote. That is something we should all fear.

Alex

As long as your name and actions are not those of a Roger you and everyone else have nothing to fear from my temper.

You had more to fear from a Dr. Jekyle/Mr. Hyde sociopath with a knife who butchered and killed people which you seem to have conveniently forgotten, and from a tyrant who destroys communities, families and a volunteer base, than from my overblown so-called temper.

I guess when you’re off topic wishing to muckrake these truths escape you. Fear makes people do and say strange things at times, which is what obviously drives you.

“You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.”

Alex,
    “Fear is the mind killer.” Get past your fears by concentrating the mind on one thing only… ‘Prince for Mayor’. :-)

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

So far, I see the Fire Department fiasco; the Crowsnest Learning Centre; the Administration staffing; the road potholes ( infrastructure) tied into outside staffing shortage; the Rayepayer’s Petition; Electrical system; recent Flood Response; Open and Transparent meetings; weeds; Animal Control Center; Budget Deficiency as some of the issues being discussed on the blogs and on the street.

I do not see anything positive being put forward by the supporters of the Mayor, Council and Administration. All that is offered is ” live with it” and ” there are consequences when a decision is made”. If the voters do not respond at the polls during the upcoming election to counter the present situation, then we all deserve the politicians and local government we get.

Regardless of who runs for mayor, out with the present and in with the new should be the aim. Let’s not be like a pack of dogs and turn on our own even before the field of candidates is announced.

All the sayings and phrases do not counter the knife slices you impart during your replies John.Yes the criticism hurts but it again shows the reason why people hesitate to support you. Your so called temper is more than that. You’ll need a longer handled shovel if you keep digging the way you do. You keep taking the bait.

Anon @9:39 (Joe)
    I take no prisoners and ask for no quarter. If you can’t stand the heat then stay out of my kitchen.

I’m not interested in putting on any acts or disguises as what my rivals will be doing on behalf of the foolish and gullible (remember, people voting for a name, not knowing the man) but instead showing myself for who and what I am, and what I stand for and how you can expect me to be. If people here can’t or don’t want that then that’s fine with me.

After all, winning an election for mayor in this community isn’t exactly like winning the lottery. Now is it? I can do without it, unless I feel I have the support and confidence of the people, then that’s a different matter all together. Then I run, win, and make history as the best mayor this ‘dimwitted’ community ever had. :-)

So I deliberately push things to the edge to gauge public opinion on whether I should even bother running again. If this community is still filled with a bunch of pussies afraid of having someone who has passion and conviction and shows it with an occasional outburst now and then, then there is no place for me, and I’ll save my money and time by ^not running. Although, sadly, all the while knowing…

Mediocrity and conformity will be the ruin of us all

anon 9:25 Can I add to your list. TITV, peace officers, franchise fees, tax penalties, Quebec manufacturing…
    I have asked Mitsy several times to provide a list of positives. Buy any member of the silent majority could and should provide it here.

John, While the food from your kitchen may be good, lighting the kitchen on fire will make it hard to keep it open. That’s too bad. What may be to the edge for one person, is over the edge for another. Dubious references to various groups and the community doesn’t build a voting base in most places. Maybe that will work here, maybe it won’t. Good luck.

Are you looking for a job as my campaign manager? For you sure are full of advice and opinions with respect to my supposed faults, but none to my positive ones. Therefore, the question is still out there as to whether you are friend or foe? Are your intentions honourable or sinister?

Judging by the number of comments of yours of late of a similar nature I believe it is more of the latter than the former. In this regard, maybe I should immediately take up at least one of your suggestions and that is to not take the bait from you anymore, because I do think you does me more harm than good.

John I think 11:50AM’s point is that you see every critique you get as a detractor or an emeny and not a legitimate concern. Stop and think about that for a second. You rant about how this mayor and council do the exact same thing. This is what people are trying to point out to you to help you WIN but you keep treating them like dimwits with sharp knives all trying to stab you in the back. You said if you run you would LISTEN, so LISTEN to what these people are trying to tell you now. Christ we’re trying to help you get voted in but you are being your own biggest enemy and pissing all over anyone who tries to bring it up. This post counts for 8 votes you could have right now. If you want them, quit with the paranoia. It’s seriously wearing thin. Also calling potential voters pussies and dimwits, well I’m sure you know where that will get you, atleast I hope you considered that before posting that answer.

I hear you loud and clear and all morning have had a nagging conscious that agrees with you. Sometimes oneself is one’s worst enemy.

I stand humbled and apologetic.

You may have just won over a few Dimwitted Pussy votes. :)

John, don’t APOLOGIZE to anyone. You are the way you are, don’t turn into a hypocrite. Just to get votes from the hypocrites is not the way to go. A clean conscience is better than a phony title. The one’s that fear your temper why don’t they run for council to keep you in line. How does a Mayor have his way when you have 6 good councillors that watch him in all meetings???????

I’m still voting for you John, if your still going to run. (And after the last election, the fact that your even considering it, is big kudos to you, after all, look at the mess we are in, because we were dimwits, and voted for a “name.”) I haven’t seen or heard from anyone, as devoted and caring about this community, and you are right, we need to take more of a part in our own affairs, and not let the “powers that be” tell us what to think and do. You have convinced me, that we need to give you a chance.

July 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM here:

It’s a miracle!!! Thank you to whoever took care of that.

(And, thanks John, for letting me air my pothole grievances.)

Anon @2:09 & Anon @5:53
    Thanks to the both of you. Much appreciated!