Municipal Burn Pit in Frank Shut Down

Municipal Burn Pit

I see in this week’s Crowsnest Promoter, buried deep within the CAO reports to council section, that our municipality after many years of successful operation of our Burn Pit in Frank, that is utilized by residents throughout the Pass, has suddenly and without warning or public input decided to close it down.

The reason given for this decision according to our illustrious mayor in the article is “People have abused that privilege (burning of wood) and it is partially our fault because we haven’t kept it under lock and key,” he said.

I’m sure a very small percentage of our population has abused the privilege as most people tend to do with almost everything that is run on a honour system, but that never necessitated the closing of this much needed and used facility before? Why now, with him? And if it is partially their fault why are they not taking some responsibility for their mishandling of this facility and finding a workable solution, instead of simply taking the easy way out by closing it?

May the man burn in hell for this one!

Seriously folks, must he take away and/or destroy everything here in the name of efficiency? Is nothing to be spared? Where are people suppose to take their burnable refuse now? All the way to the landfill in Lunbreck? Or more than likely a drop in the woods, lane-way, or any other convenient dumping ground to get away from the expense and inconvenience of going miles out of their way to another community.

A whole community is inconvenienced because a municipal employee or two doesn’t want to sort through the odd pile of other materials than burnable wood. Is this such a huge cost and unfair work demand that a whole community must be inconvenienced to accommodate taxpayer paid municipal employees and their managers? That really makes a lot of sense? Who is working for who here?

Only out of touch bureaucrats and spoiled employees could come up with this one. On second thought, I wouldn’t rush to blame the employees unless they suddenly with a new season fast approaching started complaining about having to hand out keys to the public again, or running back and forth to ensure the gates were closed, under the new rules and regulations recently implemented (last fall) by their illustrious bosses. More than likely management came up with this decision on their own because it was the simplest and easiest to implement. The public be damned!

Lord safe us from the bureaucrats and managers who look for the easy way out to avoid actually working for us, and providing a much needed and wanted service to the community.

I encourage my readers to follow my lead and send both Frank and our mayor a clear message you are not happy with their decision to close our Burn Pit, and want it to remain open.

Director of Planning, Engineering and Operations: Frank Besinger

Mayor: Bruce Decoux

UPDATE: April 18, 9:23 a.m.

Just spoke with Frank Besinger who stated the story in the Crowsnest Promoter is not entirely accurate in that the Burn Pit is ^not closing but will be undergoing some much needed changes, including new scheduling (days & hours of operation) and sign in and sign out procedures, along with better monitoring and enforcement. I for one am glad to hear this.

p.s. Never doubt the power of the press and the glare of unwanted publicity. ;-)

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Municipal Burn Pit in Frank Shut Down

Seems like a very good idea now that the Fall and Spring clean-ups have been eliminated. In the 21 Century people should have no need for such service. Whatever expenses were previously attached to this endeavor will be now redeployed to free cat registration. Now, that’s progress.

I am not too surprised about this. Last year went there 3 or 4 times with “painted wood”. Saw a bunch of stuff there that was just garbage dumped.
    Not that big of a deal to go to the real dump.

Had no idea there was a burn pit.

In the 21st Century, a remote camera(s) to record all activity at the dump/burn site should eliminate most problems. There will always be people taking advantage, that’s the way our society is. Or, perhaps the Quebec company didn’t like the smoke?
    On one hand they want to keep the CNP clean, on the other hand they put up roadblocks. Opposing objectives. There are just too many high priced employees and not enough workers to assure that such programs are kept efficient. The Administrators don’t know dick.

No, that area is way too big for cameras. And a lot of the stuff is covered.

“Not that big of a deal to go to the real dump.”

It is if your 80+ and can’t drive out of town anymore. My car is ok to toot around town in, but, a trip to the dump (if I could find it) is out of the question. I guess I’ll just dump my sticks in the woods. That’s what I did in the olden days, and I don’t think anybody cared back then. It’s just this new-fangled generation, that has to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Sticks fall off trees in the woods all the time, I can’t see how it will sully our forest.

I don’t understand…We want to be the next “Canmore” and promote the beauty of our area and environment, but we want to keep around the things that many of the so called “outsides” think tarnish and ruin the area nad environment. We seem to have become a group of hypocrits to promote our area and environment, but dont want to properly dispose of items that would protect such things.

They do away with our spring/fall clean up and now this. Counter productive wouldn’t you say?

You sound like a person with common sense, you should run for mayor. Not the mare we have now.

Where do they think top soil comes from? All the scrap from trees that get the moisture off the ground in a few years equals topsoil. Don’t burn it, don’t put it in the dump, do a favour to nature. Anywhere along the highway, back road, carry it into the bush, do your part to help nature grow more stuff for the next generation. The real garbage goes to the dump. Sticks are a favour from nature to renew our growing circle.

For the record, I have just spoken with a municipal employee who assures me the threat of the Burn Pit closure had nothing to do with them. They are in favour of it remaining open as it serves a useful and practical purpose. In addition, they conscientiously make every effort to sort through materials dumped at the site to ensure only burnable materials are in fact burnt, and that employees assigned to this task have no problem doing this job.

I gather from this that if anyone should be burnt at the stake, it should be management. :-)

“Long live the union” “Solidarity forever!” ;-)

Email from Frank Besinger regarding Burn Pit closure…

Thanks John,

Spoke to Joni, she is going to retract the closure comment in the paper and update advising that the site will remain open to the public. Accepted yard waste is limited to grass, tree limb and hedge clippings only. Further information to follow regarding days and hours of operation.

Regards

That’s good. Usually a few spoil it for everyone. Please, only take what you are supposed to.

John, I left a post on Deans blog, but I forgot to address it to you, and it looks like you might be here now. You were right on! You know your stuff. I bow to you. (and now I’m at 0.)
    (rant)

“Accepted yard waste is limited to grass, tree limb and hedge clippings only.” So no leaves? Where do we take leaves for composting or disposal? I can not ensure my yard is tidy, and hence avoid a fine, without going over my 5 bag garbage limit just for leaves. Might have to do a few random dumps just to get rid of them…… just sayin’

Wow, you would think that the paper could get their facts straight. Can’t even believe the papers now.
    Terrible. And then in the Herald they have 3,000,000 instead of $300,000. Need to step up their professionalism wouldn’t you think.

Don’t see your comment on Dean’s blog or anything related to me? Thanks for the Kudos… for what I don’t know?

Only ‘alternative media’ seems to get it right most of the time, it seems. :-) I guess msm will just have to try harder to keep up. ;-)

Maybe the paper did get it right and its the mun. that’s back tracking?

3,000,000 instead of 30,000,000 – one zero went missing. Don’t fret.

Us oldtimers know how to recycle 11;06 has it spot on.

The Municipal Solid Waste Collectors will take “clippings from trees and shrubs … in bundles no more than 1.25 metres in length” .

1.25 meters……how long is that?

One and one quarter of a meter, silly.

I’m not silly, I’m old. How long is that in feet and inches?

4.101 feet. Don’t ya just love the metric system?

I can picture 4 feet in my mind. I can’t picture 1.25 meters.