Crowsnest mayoral candidates debate

mayoral candidates debate

Mayoral Candidates Debate

Once again, our intrepid reporter Joni MacFarlane with Crowsnest Voice gives us her take, this time on the Mayoral Candidates Debate, which took place last Thursday at the MDM.

Give it a read (with video) here.

Vote experience, vote Prince!

www.johnprince.ca

What you can become depends upon what you can overcome.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Crowsnest mayoral candidates debate

Hi John: I just watched the videos as I was unable to attend.
    First thing I noticed was Mayor Decoux fidgeting and covering his face, and just seemed tired or something.
    Second thing I noticed quite quickly is that Blair Painter does not have the kind of voice that draws you to listen. It is kind of mundane. Kind of reminds me of Ed Stelmach, it was like bla bla bla. Oh, what did he say. He had no voice change or anything. He was reading script. Hilarious. You did really well. You should be proud.

Anon 5:02
    I totally agree with you regarding Blair Painter. John, you did really well, and answered questions in a calm and measured fashion, and you should indeed be proud. Painter, on the other hand, couldn’t answer anything that he wasn’t expecting, all he actually did was sort of read what had been prepared in advance, which wasn’t particularly enlightening. He obviously couldn’t handle anything that hadn’t already been written down….not exactly Mayor material in my books.

Anon @ 5:02: Just FYI, Bruce is recovering from a bad cold.

John Pundyk is Blair Painter’s campaign manager, is he also his script writer?

“…all he actually did was sort of read what had been prepared in advance…”

Thanks! Much appreciated. It’s always good to get feedback such as yours. Gives one hope. ;-)

Your feedback and support is much appreciated. Thanks! :-)

That wouldn’t surprise me, as some of what Blair was saying didn’t sound like him at all?

How strange, I was at that meeting too and thought that Blair and John both did very well. Blair was enthusiastic and had his hand up first for almost every question, he didn’t pass on any of the answers as other candidates did. I guess it’s all in how you view things.

John, I really appreciate how candid you are on this blog, and how fairly you treat people who post here, whether you agree with them or not. Dean Ward, on the other hand does not post anything that he doesn’t like, or that doesn’t serve his purpose. For example, the word “cult” came up on his blog, and I commented that we already had a cult here, namely the Ratepayers. It was obvious at both Forums, and I suggested that the people here should think long and hard before they cast their ballots. Do we really want a Mayor and Council who will be looking over their shoulders to the Ratepayers every time they have to make a decision?
    He didn’t post my comment.

Anon 2:15. There isn’t a blog anywhere that posts ALL comments made. Just thought you might like to know that.

2:15 hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of people in this community, be it ratepayers or not who think they will be in control if Blair is Mayor. Scary thing is, that may be true.

Listen to your selves people all that DECOUX and the rest are trying to do is have their opponents fighting between themselves. You may have doubts about the others but they are not the enemy it is the incumbent councel that is the enemy, replace them all and those people that replace them will have to be accountable when every meeting of councel is full of people watching every move they make. And why not push the new people to get rid of every private meeting with the ENEMY CAO. that is where every problem starts.

Here’s my take on Painter, and why he won’t be getting my vote.

Fire Department: The first time I ever heard of Painter was way back when he was being interviewed on the CBC. He did not come across well, to say the least. Overall, I think his participation in the Fire Department kerfuffle says a lot about him, and it’s not good. In the end, in judging how Council and the CAO handled the situation, I can only say the Underwriters assessment tells it all. With our rating having improved dramatically from 8 to 4, as judged by independent people in the industry, that’s all I need to know. I suspect Painter knows that too, since he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to change things back to the way they were. Good on him for that, but the reality is he showed extremely poor judgment at the time, and good leadership starts with good judgment.

Business Experience: As part of his platform, Painter is making a big thing of his business experience. Well, if I was to make a list of the most poorly run businesses in the Pass, Home Hardware would be at the top. Who of their customers has not had the experience of standing either at the front cash or at the order desk, waiting for a staff member to show up. I’ve even had staff members look at me from the back of the store, only to go about their business as I stood waiting at the front cash. Who hasn’t tried to purchase an item from the sale flyer, only to find they don’t stock it. Who hasn’t asked a question of one of their minimum wage teeny-bopper staff, only to find they (not surprisingly) don’t have a clue about anything they’re selling. Who hasn’t gone in to buy a commonly used item only to find they are out of stock. I could go on, but I suspect everyone recognizes from personal experience, what I’m saying. For contrast, see how things work at the competition, True Value Hardware. Thanks, but I don’t think we need Painter’s business skills in the Mayor’s Office.

Performance at the Forum: Painter did ok in delivering answers to questions (keyword being “deliver,” since the content was mostly fluff), as long as he had the answer sheet that John Pundyk had prepared for him. In the debate portion, where he had to think on his feet, I thought he performed very poorly. Another key part of leadership, is having the skill to make informed judgments when presented with unexpected situations. Painter did not exhibit that skill. And the planted questions from Bill Kovach were a joke — surely the Ratepayers can do better than that.