BREAKING NEWS!!! ‘Crowsnest Promoter’ closing

Crowsnest Promoter closing

Just heard from a reliable source who wishes to remain anonymous but who nevertheless would be in the know (having a very reliable source within the SunMedia organization) on this sort of thing, that as of next week (August 28) the Crowsnest Promoter will be closing.

If this in fact is true it will not only be a terrible blow to Joni MacFarlane and the others that work there, but to our community as a whole. I’m still in shock!

Timing couldn’t be worse with an election coming up.

I can’t understand it. I can’t even understand the people who can understand it.

This entry was posted in Newspapers-Media and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to BREAKING NEWS!!! ‘Crowsnest Promoter’ closing

Yes it is very sad. But I always wondered how two papers could survive in a small town. I think it is probably unheard of having two for this size.
    But on another note, I think it is probably a sign of the times. I don’t think it will be long before newspapers are obsolete. Some of the major papers have even cut back, i.e., Calgary Herald I think it was quit the Sunday paper.

The worst thing, one newspaper only gives them a monopoly. But we have some good bloggers that can advertise on their blog and charge a fee? Or again start a web site to compete with that single RAG. After elected John can have “Talk to the MAYOR” on this BLOG. Get the news from John on the WEB. And “Tell it like it is” on this one. Busy or what!!!! Go John GO!!

Oh….Crap.
    Unexpected, shocking, and sad news.

Now we will only have one newspaper lets hope the Herald keeps the pressure on these clowns that Joni has maintained over the last two years.

Monopolies are never good especially if the one having one in this business has a proven track record of having a biased nature. With an election coming up will they be playing favourites? With all this we must remember that Lisa is now our Returning Officer which adds another wrinkle to the question of how fair and democratic will our election be when the Pass Herald has already demonstrated they are behind the Ratepayers and their man Blair… and the groups de facto mayor Dean.

6:37 Can you clarify something for me? Is that the Lisa that owns the newspaper? Being the Returning Officer would be a #1 conflict of interest. You get paid to be the R.O. You get paid to print and sell election advertisement stuff in your paper and you have the opportunity as well to express your opinions about the candidates as the editor. You sure are not going to bad mouth the people that give you all this gravy, now are you? This is a complete disgrace to the democratic process. I would call this organised crime. We have to bring this to the election fairness with our Community and condemn the people that came up with this nonsense. I will be sending a letter to our Provincial gov. about this early Monday morning. Fair and square or the HELL with YOU. If you have to side with a newspaper to get elected that’s because you already know you can’t make it on your own. Does everyone have to cheat to be somebody??????

This news is disappointing. The Pass Herald is like the pass inquirer- I think it’s terrible that Lindsay Goss wrote articles without actually interviewing people and just on the hear say of what Lisa told her to write. It’s all bull but I guess papers don’t like to print the Good News- unless you are Shootin the Breeze.

Does everyone have to cheat to be somebody?
    Sure look that way around here.

Looks like the old money, lucky spermer crowd are on their way to buying this election too. What’s to stop them?

“Does everyone have to cheat to be somebody?”

Prohibition Rum Runner mentality rules here. True democracy takes a back seat and that’s why politics here is such a merry-go-round. Can’t we STOP this insanity?

It was public knowledge by noon on Friday that the Promoter was gone, John. I’m not sure what “confidential source” you have, but you’re “breaking news” at 4pm that everybody in town knew at 2.

Is that so, hey? Funny how Lisa came running up to me at Timmy’s yesterday asking me if it was true and how reliable my source was. Funny, hey? As well as the editor from the Nanton News telling me yesterday afternoon that it was true but has ^not official been announced yet. So where exactly are you coming from with your BS?

If you don’t like the “news” here go somewhere else. People who just want to smear and spread false information won’t be missed.

11:23 Your comment is sick or you are? John is not in the news business but he serves us well on this blog. 24-7. Who cares about what time we found out but we did here thanks to John. Also for FREE. Now go to your room.