D-Day – August 20, 2013

D-Day is fast approaching

As I sit here with approximately six-weeks remaining before Nomination Day, still contemplating whether I should run or not considering what I am up against in this community having a track record of only electing Lucky Sperm Club members to the mayor’s chair (regardless of competency, qualifications, or meritocracy), it occurred to me what next week’s meeting of council signifies. Its D-Day.

Over the years, it has become a tradition of council that at the last meeting of council in August prior to an election is when the sitting mayor asks each member of council to declare to the community their intentions on whether or not they plan on running for office again.

So what’s everybody’s best guess?

What was leadership, after all, but the blind choice of one route over another and the confident pretense that the decision was based on reason?

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to D-Day – August 20, 2013

I find your reference to the lucky sperm club obnoxious. Why is it a crime to have been born in this community according to you??????Post this comment damn it.

Being born here is not a crime, far from it. In fact, it should be something one could and should be proud of.

However, it being a criterion, a requirement, for elected office here, such as with the mayors chair, is what most of us (especially those not lucky enough to be born here) find to be both objectionable and “obnoxious”.

11:13 The lucky sperm club. This the best John ever came up with. The definition of LUCKY SPERM: When your family gives you a bunch of money and you use that money and position to control voters is lucky sperm. You never worked for it you were not smart to make money by yourself you ended up with money by the LUCK OF THE SPERM OF YOUR DAD (FATHER-IN-LAW). If you don’t understand that say so, I will try again. It’s like when I was in Baghdad you were in your dad’s bag is what makes me smart.

To tell the truth, I am beginning to think that I am really glad I was not born here. Too much hate and discrimination with some people.
    I love living here now though. It is my town now and I want to have the best representation possible. And in my mind, someone who is “middle”. Someone will will not cater to the supposed “elite” of the neighborhood. Ha ha, probably elite in their minds only.

Couldn’t have said it better myself anon 12:21. Use you heads people, really think about it.

John you are by far “the only” mayoral candidate to vote for as far as I’m concerned. You look beyond what other people are blinded by. Voting for BP would be another mistake, from the frying pan and into the fire.

Good blog John. It will be interesting to see how many councillors don’t get it. We don’t want ANY of these jellyfish back.

Where in the list of requirements for mayor and council does it list that you have be born here. It is very difficult to try and run for any political position when you throw out insults at the largest part of the voters in the voting pool, it may seem like fun to all the groupies that agree but it is something that goes out to the public and it gets made worse every time it is repeated. So if you are satisfied to play to a small audience that agrees with the statement then you will be fine but electoral success dosent come from those that already agree with you….

WHAT MAKES PAINTER QUALIFIED TO BE MAYOR?

I think the same as any person that lives here for six mounths. I guess that is why there is voting involved in elections it will be up to the people voting. At this point he is the only one declared I guess that is a start, he must have decided he can offer something different than what we have now.

WHAT MAKES PAINTER QUALIFIED TO BE MAYOR?

12. Chloe says:

John, I have read some really stupid comments on your blog for a few years but Anon.5:54 takes the proverbial cake. You won’t achieve electoral success by getting those who agree with you to vote for you? Man, what are you guys smoking in them dar mountains? John, if you put your name forward for Mayor, you are in for a very nasty ride. I think the elite still rule, many think that a hotel will magically appear, the Peace Officers and new Fire Services will pay for themselves. A divided community, not sure that even Superman could make it well again. Take carfe.

13. Chloe says:

John, sorry for the typos.
    ‘really stupid comments over the years on your blog’

‘Take care’

No to be exact ELECTORAL success comes from converting people who don’t think like you over to your way of thinking. Not by having the small number that already agree just more convinced. And I guess what makes MR PAINTER qualified is the same things that made NENSHI in Calgary qualified, which I remember a whole thread on here extoling his virtues

“it has become a tradition of council that at the last meeting of council in August prior to an election is when the sitting mayor asks each member of council to declare to the community their intentions on whether or not they plan on running for office again.”

This is not Municipal business. Council meetings cost taxpayers a significant amount per hour. The Mayor and Council should not spend this time politicking.

Your argument is ridiculous as is your comparison of Nenshi (one of this country’s finest mayors) with an upstart bolts and nuts hardware salesman who hasn’t even got his feet wet yet. Get real!

Doesn’t take much time to go around the table and have councillors answer yes or no whether they will be running again?

Painter is ^not Nenshi. What a ludicrous statement.

9:44 The point is that it is not the MARE’S affair if I want to run or not. What is the reason for asking? I would not answer yes or no to a question that is none of his business.

biggest thing Nenshi and Painter have in comman is they both never held office before. so I guess lots of people can argue that makes you unqualified if you never ran for office before. But I have never seen anything saying that mayors were chosen on previous councel experence or time as a counciller. Funny when talking about somewhere else, lack of experience makes someone great but here it is bad to have no experience. Can argue this in circles but as the only declared candidate he dosent need any more qualifications

9 12
    The most IGNORANT comment ever try to pass fool gold for the real thing.Only in the PASS.

That’s like saying if Bozo the Clown was the only declared candidate that makes him qualified. That’s a ridiculous argument.

I repeat: WHAT MAKES PAINTER QUALIFIED TO BE MAYOR?

If you can’t or won’t answer this I understand as I think anyone here that knows the man and would be honest with themselves would be hard-pressed to answer this.

Nenshi’s legacy is yet to be seen. He only won the election with 40% vote. Taxes have gone up 35% under his watch. He is very critical when someone calls him out. Time will tell.
    Regardless, has nothing to do with our area. It is all about the person and how they relate to people. Experience is good but you usually get that when some repeat people get back in.

Just as I thought. You obviously know nothing about Nenshi’s popularity in Calgary and respect earned in that city and throughout the country, and even less about Painter, as you could not come up with anything in the qualifications department to suggest he is mayor material.

Running a business, meeting a payroll, buying inventory, PAYING TAXES, volunteering and other community involvement all contribute to what is needed. Quite the opposite for our present mayor.

Just what do you think is needed for qualifications? Haven’t seen a list so far.

He is definitely not mayor material.

You just described everyone who owns a business in the Pass. Not everyone who owns a business here is qualified to be a mayor, and Painter is certainly one of them.
    Anyhow, dealing with you rationally is a waste of time, it’s like being nibbled to death by ducks. Over and out.

9:22 wrote:
    “You just described everyone who owns a business in the Pass.”

Except Gallant – does Sinister 7 PAY TAXES?