Fixing Canada’s Economy

An Open Letter To Mr. Harper

A friend of mine sent me the following and now I’m passing it on. Sounds like a plan to me… :-)

Fixing Canada’s Economy

Dear Mr. Harper,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Canada’s economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to banks and car companies, that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan:

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings – Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new Canadian CAR. Twenty million cars ordered – Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage – Housing Crisis fixed.

4) They must send their kids to school / college /university – Crime rate fixed

5) Buy $50 of alcohol / tobacco / petrol a week… there’s your money back in duty / tax etc.

It can’t get any easier than that!

P.S.
If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances.

This entry was posted in Canadian Politics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Fixing Canada’s Economy

Ummm, first off, there are NOT 20M people over 50 in the Canadian workforce…there are about 22M workers in the ENTIRE workforce.

But if there was, and such a stupid NDP-like plan was considered, the total dollars for such a plan would be 20 TRILLION dollars…where would the money come from?

I hope all your “progressive” friends do send this to the PM…it will only confirm that you folks live in a dreamworld.

Sheesh!

lol,A little laugh going into a weekend is always good.

Anon#1

I think it’s obvious that whoever rewrote this substituted Britain for Canada (the population numbers and ‘petrol’ give it away).

But my friend, you missed the point which Anon#2 did not. :-)

With respect to your derogatory NDP comment. Over the years, the NDP gave us old age pensions, health care and UI, just to name three programs that benefit peoples life’s daily in a positive manner. This is a hell of lot more than what the conservatives have ever given to the people. Socialism gives, whereas Capitalism takes. Conservatives are ‘Big’ on Capitalism… and taking… not giving.

Personally, I’m for taking too. Taking from the rich and giving to the poor. Instead of how it is presently being practiced (especially over the last two decades or so), of ‘taking from the poor and giving to the rich’.

But all this will soon be changing, because… Corruption is merely a nasty word for the autumn of a people.

Not a big sense of ha ha coming from that first post…
    RFA

John, I hope you run for mayor we need a person with vision and direction who puts the citizens first. As the four on council who are playing god for themselves and the people are not thought of, is a crying shame. I for one will never vote for these four and never did. Please get this group out as our community is going to ruin.

Anonymous

Do you support the positions of the three.

What would you consider vision and direction.

Talk about a loaded question!

btw/ have you noticed how my other fellow local bloggers are somewhat hesitant in answering questions, as several of my earlier posts can attest to? I, however, rise to your challenge, and spit in your eye! :-)

I support most of what the gang of four is doing but have my reservations as to real motives and intentions. Also, have concerns with ‘new boys club’ being nothing more than a ‘modern version’ of the ‘old boys club’. Equally threatening and ultimately damaging to our community, if allowed to go unchecked. Which of course, they will now be able to do, since there is no ‘grassroots’ participation on the Adhoc Committee by way of Members-at-Large… and me!

I sympathize with the three in wanting to retain the past and what all that means to them and their generation (including the Centre). However, I believe these people have done a lot of harm and damage over the years, as well, in preserving the past at the expense of the future.

My future vision for the Pass is one in which both worlds above, embrace one another and walk hand in hand together. Not having to choose between one or the other in a polarizing world of us and them.

Embracing the future, while preserving the past is where we need to be going.

There is a saying, “moderation in all things”, and this is the direction I think the future growth of the Pass should take. Controlled growth and development. Not a wild ‘free for all’ for landowners and developers that enriches a few greedy individuals, at the expense of the many.

Is this what happened in the Crowsnest from the outside looking in I do not see a lot of development.
    Plus I know a few people in Calgary that invested in one big project. Nothing said about that project in a long time.
    Who were these greedy individuals that got rich

Holy crap John, If you thought the first question was loaded…

With the Adhoc Committee comprised of mainly wealthy landowners, developer’s, real estate agent’s and politicians, whose past actions suggest they would sell their souls for an advantage, locals need to fear unrestrained growth and development that benefits a few greedy individuals at the expense of the many, such as what happened in Canmore, for example.

You are right, they were both loaded questions. However, the difference between me and some others is I don’t hide or run away from dealing with difficult matters, but instead prefer to deal with things in a, hopefully, honest and direct manner. You know where I stand and where I am coming from, is what I am saying. I don’t sit on a fence or hide behind one.

So what is happening in the Crowsnest Pass for development.What became of that big project the previous poster raised?

Most of the bigger developments in the Pass are at a standstill, with the biggest one being Bridgegate appearing to be dead in the water, as per the following Canadian Business Forum thread:

Thanks to my Anonymous ‘Bellevue Belle’ (I’m thinking?) for your ‘wish you run for mayor comment’.

Speaking of which, our mayor and I shared beers together at the miner’s club after the Bellecrest Parade yesterday, along with our comrades from the local legions. It was quite enjoyable finding oneself in good company.

I see our local MLA Evan Berger took the time and trouble to make the parade, but none of our local councillors did? Disgraceful and shameful is an understatement!!!

15. Gary Taje says:

I am sure my employer was pleased I showed up for work Saturday morning. There is no shame or disgrace in earning a living.

Ah, he lives, breathes and speaks! So good to hear from you again Gary. Your excuse is duly noted and accepted, as is Choppy’s (according to Charlie Martin (President of the Bellecrest Association), Choppy made his excuses days earlier as his daughter was graduating from the RCMP academy in Regina, and so he and Bev were there as proud parents – Congratulations Guys!).

But that does not excuse the fact that at least one councillor should of been there… and there wasn’t! Neither was the Crowsnest Pass Chamber of Commerce???

And another councilor was also working

Dean

It’s good to see we have so many ‘hardworking’ councillors. :-)

But one of you should have taken the 45 minutes out of your busy schedules to attend Bellevue/Hillcrest’s annual (that’s once a year!) ‘celebration of life’ parade and festivities. :-(

After all, some of us were waiting with our baskets of ‘veggies’ for you to go by. :-) lol!