John’s Rules

Blog Rules

Following in the steps of Dean Ward’s Rules I think it’s time to lay down some ground rules here too.

In addition to what Dean said so well above (which applies here also), I would just add the following three points:

First, if you don’t agree with my opinions and stands on issues you don’t have to be insulting, it’s a free world (so they Love saying) go get lost in it… and leave us alone. I’m not interested in childish and immature BS games… go to the comments section of msm outlets for that. Now on the other hand, if you have an argument you want to make based on something more than baseless convictions or biases unsupported by any type of logic and reason as a bare minimum, then lets get it on! :-) I do have an open mind, knowing as I do that “men of fixed convictions do not count when it comes to determining what is fundamental in values and lack of values. Men of convictions are prisoners”, and therefore I always try to remember that the best thing for a man to do is to hold all of his beliefs lightly and to reject them whenever they begin to appear as errors.

Second, I believe our municipality and province’s ‘status quo’ is in desperate need of change, for reasons best summarized here Dissent. No longer a dirty word. Federally, I think most people know where I stand STOP HARPER! (btw, this one area is *not* open to debate – don’t even go there! This blog is a ‘Harper Free Zone’, please respect that)

Third, I’m just a guy with opinions who recognizes that “few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions”. So being ‘red in a sea of blue’ here in Alberta, statistically I will 77.6% of the time have views ‘different’ from yours, if you are an Albertan. I recognize that and so should you, by remembering the rules above.

Amnesty is hereby granted to all past transgressors to the above rules. The slate is wiped clean, and hence a new beginning for those who would like a fresh start here.

John Prince

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

This entry was posted in Blog Culture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to John’s Rules

I recognize that you are one of these people. “few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment”.This is obvious, just look at rule #2.

You are absolutely right. But at the same time you have now broken rule #2, good bye! :-)

Hi John, Peter here. I’ve noticed on Dean’s blog that his gang constantly try to smear you any time you make a comment there. They go out of there way to present the Conservative platform, ending there ‘rational’ arguments with insult. It’s the classic Conservative move. Act as if you are rational, then zing the object of your ire with personal insults. Good for you for standing up to, as someone put it, these COWARDS. The same goes for Diane P. :-)

Best to you and keep up the good fight but I wouldn’t waste my time over there anymore until they learn some manners, or the moderator starts doing his job. Which it looks like he is now doing with his last post. About time and good for him. Anyhow I really enjoy reading your posts and will continue to do so cause you’re better by far than the Herald any day. :-)

Peter @12:25
    You noticed that, hey Peter? About the Herald. :-)

When you’ve been in the public eye and been as outspoken as I have been and continue to be you can’t help but make some enemies. But I’ve always found that “a wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends”, so as a result, I tend to treed where others dare not.

Thanks for your comment and for the compliment regarding the Herald which I’m sure is just going to make Buddy and Lisa’s day. :-) … wait, I think I hear them saying, “Thank god its Friday”. :-)

Peter. I have found over the years that people who lack the ability to come up with an intelligent comment or arguement. Either attempt to bully, or attack in a personnel nature. I think its time both myself, Mr Prince and anybody else that blogs around here takes the responsibility to clean things up.
    I know I have disagreed with Mr Prince many times and will continue to. But I truly believe I have never disrespected him.

Anyway look forward to seeing you soon at http://crowsnestpasshome.blogspot.com/

Dean Ward

Peter, I can vouch for what Mr. Ward says and totally agree with his opinion on this matter. It seems at times no matter how sincere and with the best intentions of finding solutions to problems you will always attract riffraff whose only contribution is to settle old scores by bullying and bastardizing the conversation in the hope to detract from the subject at hand, using insults at every opportunity under the slightest pretext as it is the only literature of the un-educated man these people have. Sad but true! Trying to engage them in an intelligent debate is like wishing you could fly to the moon, or to be able to reach out and grab a star. I have no problem with argument and heated debate but like Mr. Ward said, we do not have to disrespect one another. We can agree to disagree and leave it at that. There is no need for bullying and personal insults. In this regard, we all need to do our part in ensuring these people do not find a home in our blogging world.

7. peter rosner says:

surely you are not referring to me. I dont sign on as Peter. I am Peter Rosner for more on me go to The Miners Journey. I will always give my full name or my blog site when making a comment

8. peter rosner-- (the miners journey) says:

John after observing your “rules” i felt you are missing something here. Yes men of conviction are prisoners of their own thougts but they usually end up in positions of power and very effective at getting others to follow. By not allowing comments that support the conservative party or leader you are eliminating the very people that you should be educating. Remember this about all leaders.— “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men” John E.E.D. Acton (1834-1902)

Peter @7:25
    Peter you got me and this blog wrong. It has been said “Where all think alike, no one thinks very much”. I’m not interested in getting the 77.6% of Albertans who supported the HarperCONS in the last election or for four decades now the conservatives here in Alberta, or decades now the conservatives here in the Pass. Blind ideologues and their shepple don’t interest me and I certainly would not waste my time trying to educate them as you suggest, for I know as it has been said, “talking sense to a fool only results in them calling you foolish”, although they are welcome to feed at my through here if they so choose… like you do. :-)

No this blog is a confirmation place for those 22.4% who can think for themselves and are awakened to the dangers of conservatism with its many deceptions and falsehoods leading our people down the failed path the states has gone down with the Republicans, which has brought nothing but despair and hopelessness to the vast majority of their people while at the same time turning them into nothing more than ‘wage and debt’ slaves in a land of plenty, for the benefit of foreign and domestic corporatocracy interests.

On the provincial and local front I take great encouragement, knowing as I do that “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free”, in the article I put a link to in the main body of this post, titled ‘Dissent. No longer a dirty word’.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.

Further to what I have already said in this post I will add that there are three types of folks who hang out in blogs.

First, there are the regular commenter’s I get on blogs like mine — Conservatives, Liberals, New Democrats, the undecided. The ones I get, I like. They tend to be smarter than me and I often find myself relying upon their analysis when I’m thinking about a political issue. (Jose is a good example of one of these.)

Second, there is a less-intelligent group who pop by, too. We call them “trolls”. They use false names or hide behind anonymous and they regurgitate all kinds of hate and dirt. I don’t ever approve their comments.

Finally, there is a third group whose presence we feel online, but don’t often see: The lurkers. They skulk in the background, but never really offer any comments. They just lurk.

It takes all kinds to make this world, and all kinds is what we get here. Blog on!

11. peter rosner says:

you are right on that and it is usually the first group which is generally the minority leading the other two groups