Leadership Debate: Plenty of jabs….

…. but no knockout punch.

Federal Leadership Debate

Federal Leadership Debate

Well our one and only English leadership debate is now history.

For me, I was hoping Harper would have been pinned to the mat on a whole host of issues but he wasn’t. In fact, he stood his ground pretty good.

Iggy was better than expected but needed to get down and dirty but couldn’t, or wouldn’t… maybe it’s not in him to be that way?

Jack was good and came across as the candidate having the best policies and vision for taking this country forward in my opinion, along with coming across huge in the trust factor area.

Duceppe seemed to struggle this time around but as always was very pointed and direct, but at times was too gentlemanly in allowing others, especially Harper, to go on and on, on his dime.

Over all, the one thing I found both disturbing and disconcerting was how the director (camera man) did not switch away when Harper was speaking, but instead allowed Harper to address the camera, rather than his opponents? Instead of turning away, the camera and Harper are having a dialog. It was more of a speech and not an exchange with an opponent. Something fishy here, I thought? And a big advantage for Harper.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. What are yours?

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you’ve got it made.

This entry was posted in Canadian Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Leadership Debate: Plenty of jabs….

Here’s a point to ponder, in all relationships whether, personal, political, any relationship, there are two important conditions that must be addressed.

The two conditions are Trust and Respect and for any relationship to survive they must be met.

So ask yourself, political agenda aside, do you trust and respect the leader that is asking for your vote.

In the case of Stephen Harper, after all the issues that have been brought to light recently I would expect that the answer is obvious.

2. I will be frank up front I will more than likely vote conservative.
    There is no question that trust and respect are important.
    But lets be honest look at all the crap with the Liberals when they were last in power.(Gomery Inquiry) I’m sure if I took the time I could find tonnes of dirt on each party over time.
    Who can you really trust, realistically for us out side of Quebec we have a choice of Layton (NDP)the peoples party I ran a business in BC during the NDP regime, if the Federal party is anything like the provincial party this country would be in terrible shape. I look at Iggy (Liberals) he reminds me of the benevolent Lord of the Manor telling the serfs how much he is going to improve their lives. Then I look at Harper who has no charisma and creates the excitement of being at an Accountants convention. (No slam against accountants)
    Honestly I felt like I wasted two hours of my time last night.
    Which of the candidates answered a direct question with a direct answer.
    Its a sad day when a lot of voters instead of looking for the best candidate are looking for the one that will do the least damage.

Either way I hope the voters pick a majority government or the country will be going throught this again shortly.

I agree, when Harper was speaking the camera was pointed directly at him (full frontal view) but when the others spoke there was all these weird camera angles? What’s up with that???

Excellent comment and of course I totally agree with you. Harper has proven over the last 5 years that he talks the talk but does not walk the walk. In addition, besides having lost all credibility in the areas of trust, honesty and respect he has proven what he is a bigger threat to our democracy and parliamentary institutions than any foreign enemy since the war of 1812, and this having had so far only a minority government… what would he be like with a majority? He is dangerous and scary as is, never mind what he would be like being in a position with no checks and balances. No, I say ENOUGH HARPER!

Dean, you know where I stand as far as Harper goes, so we won’t even go there, and at the same time I won’t try and convert one such as yourself who long ago had his mind made up as to who he supports, due in large measure to the very reasons you have just spoken on, which I must say I disagree with, as in my opinion they are not based on sound reasoning but instead on a blip on the map sort to speak with respect to the Liberals who have managed this country quite successfully, and for the majority of this country’s history, since confederation. And when complaining about the NDP, please don’t have me go into the long litany of conservative government corruption and incompetency’s when in power running any number of our provinces. Abuses such as Mike Harris in Ontario, or in Saskatchewan where the former premier and several cabinet ministers faced criminal charges/convictions. Never mind the sorry state they left those poor provinces in at the end of the day when they were done.

No, the truth of the matter is you cannot blame individual political parties or tar them all with the same brush for isolated instances such as the Gomery Inquiry (which by the way no Liberals were ever found guilty of anything in a court of law) with the Liberals, or your personal biases with an NDP government when in B.C. when you were in business that could have very well have had the same end results with any other party in charge at the time facing the same circumstances, for all we know. In fact, the record shows NDP provincial governments are better fiscal managers than the others by a long shot, bringing balanced budgets such as what Manitoba has recently done (the only province in Canada to do so), never mind Tommy Douglas’s 17 balanced budgets in a row when he was premier.

With that said, putting Duceppe aside for obvious reasons, of the three remaining party leaders I would have to say Jack Layton and the NDP win hands down with regards to trust, honesty and respect. Unfortunately, they are not likely to form the next government of Canada, but failing Harper winning a majority will be in a position to form a working relationship as they did with the Liberals back in 1972, which as I have said before would be a good thing for Canada as they have always gotten things for working families in this country, as have the Liberals. The conservatives on the other hand have always been about big business and GREED and what they can get for themselves and their friends and the hell with everybody else. To prove this point, in all of our history, I cannot recall one thing a conservative government has ever done for working families in this country, can you? On the other hand I can recall a whole host of things the NDP have done from giving us Medicare, to U.I. to Old Age Security Pensions, etc., etc. (btw/ all things conservatives now want to claw back) and yet they have never formed a government in this country, to-date? Maybe this time around, they might? Stranger things have happened before. Lord knows this country needs a government that cares about the people rather than one we have had for the last few years that cares about the multi-nationals only, feeding them immigrants in order to suppress wages and benefits to our people.

In closing, let me just say if this election goes as the others have recently then I hope to see the eventual merging of the Liberals and NDP so that we do not continue having minority governments such as the conservatives who at best can only attract 1/3 of the voters to their party, but find themselves in positions of power to dictate their failed philosophy and ideology to the rest of us who make up the majority.

“Let some flowers bloom here, let democracy breathe. Let it live,”

M. Ignatieff.

“Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend,”

M Tse Tung

The visiting left-wing professor almost got the quote right from last century’s biggest tyrant.

Having hit a wall, the next logical step is < not > to bang our heads against it.
    Stephen Harper

If you want to be a government in a minority Parliament, you have to work with other people.
    Stephen Harper

It’s the government’s obligation to look really to the third parties to get the support to govern.
    Stephen Harper

The government can only be brought down because it alienates several parties in the House.
    Stephen Harper

Whether Canada ends up as one national government or two national governments or several national governments, or some other kind of arrangement is, quite frankly, secondary in my opinion.
    Stephen Harper

Isn’t the last one a beaut? Spoken as a true traitor and hypocrite.

9. The miners journey says:

As a trade unionist i normally support the NDP but i am also a realist and know they will never be the governing party. The jury has always been out on them and big business will have nothing to do with them.—-Anyways liberal candidate Nicol Hankel was in the area campaining and visited the high school today fielding questions from the social studies classes. Apparently she was the only candidate that accepted the invitation good for her. Unfortunately i missed the debate but i have been getting a lot of feedback and it sounds like Harper came out ahead of the rest

Great Quotes, if I do say so myself. :-)

TMJ, With that kind of attitude and lack of support they never will be the governing party?

I don’t see how supporting the opposition improves life for you, your family and members when all you are doing is sleeping with the enemy i.e. management and big business who don’t have your best interest at heart, but only their own, at your expense.

On your final note, I suggest you talk to others other than die-hard conservatives and you will receive a different spin on things, especially after Harper’s poor performance yesterday in the French debate.

In addition, the following news story from a national news source that has always been considered pro-Harper places a new dynamic in how they are doing.

National Post editorial board: Tories fail to meet their own standards

Polls are clearly showing that since this election was called they are on a steady decline, while other parties are climbing.

Finally, the following blog comment on the site of one of the political bloggers I follow says it all, I think.

Canadians deserve who they elect. Politicians are only as bad as the voters (read: the people) allow them to be. Harper was elected on the promise to do things differently. In many respects, things have only gotten worse. I don’t know if Iggy would be any better. I guess that there is only one way to find out. But at least we know that Harper is not up to the job.

… Harper is not up to the job.

that says it all.