Mayor, Council and CAO off on a Tangent

Off on a Tangent

Since the end of July our municipal leaders have been off on a tear haphazardly ramming through one unbelievably stupid decision after another in what can only be described as the desperate actions of a modern-day madman Captain Ahab in charge of a Ship of Fools.

This week’s Pass Herald has disturbing stories on the fiasco of the last minute rush job to demolish the CLC (coincidentally, in time for the upcoming municipal election) with disconcerting questions raised by both Councillors Saindon and Sage that suggest this mayor, council and CAO are blatantly dealing from the bottom of the deck, and don’t care if the whole community knows it. Tough Titty!

Due diligence, transparency, along with protecting the public purse have apparently gone out the window like so much discarded dish water. All are being sacrificed on the altar of political expediency and crass political opportunism… the public be damned! This includes what many are calling a bail-out gift of $50,000 using our tax dollars to cover the learning mistakes and machinations of Group|Vachon.

Crowsnest Centre demolition questioned

Municipality to pay $50,000 to hold Best Western

Ever since it was announced that the first deal had gone south, the story’s taken more twists and turns than Senator Pamela Wallin’s travel expenses. :-)

I LOVE Crowsnest Promoter Editor Joni MacFarlane, as she once again has demonstrated her skill in asking pertinent questions which gets to the heart of the matter in exposing more “red flags” here than one can expect seeing at a full-fledged communist rally.

The curious case of the hotel – part 3

However, what I don’t love and what my readers I’m sure don’t love either with this never-ending story of political intrigue, possible malfeasance, municipal corruption and glaring examples of ineptitude with respect to the CLC site is that although this is somewhat farcical it is nevertheless nothing to laugh at, and everything I had previous warned everyone about.

Medican Hotel Open House: The circus is in town

Medican/CLC Purchase: Let the Games Begin

Now, if they had only listened to me when I said…

Mr. Mayor, hold off on that bulldozer

… we wouldn’t be in this mess, now would we?

We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex — but Mayor and Council can.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Mayor, Council and CAO off on a Tangent

Aren’t the Ratepayers supposed to do something so this did not happen.

Yes where are the ratepayers. Now you can see what you will get if someone like them is voted in again. We see nothing nor do we hear anything from the wannabe mayor on this fiasco that this council is now preparing to saddle us with as their swan song. This is their last effort to reap more ruin on our community. They have no shame and their incompetence has no limits.

Now we have more answers!!! John for MAYOR. Joni MacFarlane invited to all council meetings. There will be no room for stupidity or conflict of interest. With all our good volunteers smiling in the background happy community. A council that works for the best interest of the people and doesn’t worry what is reported in the papers, or who reports it. We call this NOTHING TO HIDE… With this council we call it NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

You are the loser insulting our elected people in a Democratic election.Shame on you.NO respect.

“insulting our elected people in a Democratic election”

???

I’m not 6:56, but I agree with him. Unfortunately I agree with you a bit as well. Shame on me, for voting for a name, not knowing the man, in the last election. Shame, shame, shame on me. A lesson well learned, but…..I do reserve the right to complain about my bad choices. Don’t like ’em (current council & most of all the Mayor,) don’t like ’em, can’t wait to get rid of ’em.

Now, John, I’ll vote for, if he runs…..(pretty please!) and I’m sure a little wiser this time!

7:06 How can anyone show respect for these tyrants when they do not show respect for the people including you. Have a little respect for yourself , do you like being a cash cow, or are you one of them defending what they are doing?

There is an excellent letter to the editor in the Promoter today.
    I think it is very good and just about sums up everything correctly. I hope everyone takes the time to read it thoroughly.

Ask yourself why do we need another hotel when the Cedar Inn is a block away and the building will be brand new and very modern containing 70 new rooms. How many hotel rooms do we need. I’m sick of hearing about this hotel fiasco. Lobby and get a smaller version of Costco and give the grocery stores some competition. Maybe they would lower their prices.

John do not compromise your position, do not step back to run for councillor. You were born to lead.

Costco would be so awesome. Totally agree.

8:52 Excellent description. Not scared to be watched. Not scared to make mistakes. Not scared of conflicts of interest. Not scared of opposition. Exactly the leader we need……. GO GO GO JOHN!!!

Way to go
    One more voter with common sence.

Councillor Gallant… “Is there interest in someone who wants to buy some of the land?” CAO Myron Thompson responded, “yes, there is a buyer for a portion who wants to move ahead”.

With the sudden rush and urgency with which mayor, council and our CAO are ramming through matters pertaining to the CLC the above is just one more disconcerting issue that raises yet another ‘red flag’ that we should all be concerned with, due to the long-term consequences and ramifications of such a ‘piece-meal’ sale.

Municipality to pay $50,000 to hold Best Western

Costco would be a disaster.

Might create a few jobs but they would be at the expense of other businesses in the Pass.

Small businesses are the heart beat of the community, take a close look at who sponsors clubs and events, small businesses. Large companies do also donate too.

What the CLC area needs is a local shopping area where people come to spend money. Bragg Creek type of idea. Small, local businesses are what keep this community going. We need is a place that people can park and walk around from store to store and spend money. What we lack is a downtown core where you can park on one side and walk up the street and then cross the street and spend money and go back to your car.

Yes, it would definitely create a “few” jobs. Ha ha.

Anonymous 2.59 p.m
    What do you expect the ratepayers to do throw themselves in front of the bulldozer. They have no control over council’s decisions as you should have researched.

Costco would be competition and it is known as free enterprise.

19. Lee says:

11:22 We have such a place. It is our local empty or just about empty mall. I remember the olden days when we used to do our socializing there, go for a cup of coffee in the restaurant. On weekends there would be bake sales charity events to raise money, like I mentioned, these were the olden days when we still had a functioning community.

Think you had better do some research dearie. From John:

The previous Ratepayers Association did exactly that by way of CD (Civil Disobedience) in occupying council chambers and preventing them from conducting business while generating much needed media attention for their cause while also getting Edmonton’s attention as well.

Costco….gag me…..good grief, I didn’t move here to spend time in a bloody warehouse full of crap I don’t need…..by the caseload. I love our small local businesses, and that’s where I spend my money, and everyone else should too.

I heard Costco is going in at Pincher Creek. I do totally agree with 11:22. We need uniqueness. Yes it would be nice to have as downtown core like Fernie with both sides of the street available for shopping. Larger box stores like costco can sell cheaper because they can buy bulk amounts of product cheaper than what small businesses can. It works on a tier system with the small businesses being at the bottom of the totem pole. Have a little respect for small businesses owners. So with that being said I would Like to ask John what he would do as mayor to help the small businesses here in the CNP. What is your take on that John?

A little early for questions that should be debated among candidates.