On-going ‘media tyranny’

…. in the Crowsnest Pass.

Media Tyranny

As most people are probably aware by now, having read this past week’s Promoter and Herald newspapers, my PRESS RELEASE announcing my candidacy for mayor in our upcoming municipal election has finally been published (although near or in the back section of both papers, without fanfare or commentary, and treated by them almost as a ‘begrudging’ inclusion, and non-event).

I guess I should be happy because at least it was finally published, but not before my having had to meet with the editors of both papers and discussing common sense and fairness issues, with them doing the right thing with respect to this matter, as discussed previously in my earlier post below:

Media tyranny in the Crowsnest Pass, or how we ‘don’t’ report the news… if we don’t like you

I’m sure our media’s performance and fanfare will only improve once candidates more to their liking come forward. In the meantime, those of us who do not measure up (in their minds) and/or who have been critical of their past and continuing adversarial bent and manipulations, will have to settle for being placed at the back of the bus… out of sight and out of mind, so to speak. :-(

But be warned media people, like Rosa Parks (the mother of the freedom movement) we will not go quietly. We will act defiantly against those MEDIA who would oppress us.

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!

On October 18th, vote John Prince for Mayor

…contrary to the usual image of the news media as cantankerous, obstinate, and ubiquitous in their search for truth and defense of justice, in their actual practice they defend the economic, social, and political agendas of the privileged groups that dominate domestic society, the state, and the global order.

This entry was posted in Newspapers-Media and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to On-going ‘media tyranny’

John,
    Suggestion, change your name to Gary Taje or John Irwin and both papers wil be more than happy to plaster your picture and tell your story in their papers every chance they get. EG. Check out Gary in last week’s Pass Herald. It helps if you are related to the owners, doesn’t it?

2. Fred Poirier says:

Hi John,
    I have a perfect match for your post in the year 2000 our local rag (so called newspaper) had hired a reporter and a good one at that, she was invited to an event in Port Mc Neill But wouldn’t give details but after we compared all we came to the conclusion that the event was the AGM of our local Community Futures.
    We were arrested on Sept 5, 2000
    the AGM was on Sept 12, 2000 and this commentary was on Sept 20, 2000
    not long after this that reporter vanished, I wonder why?

The pass herald is a snot-rag and the promoter is not far behind.
    (The lack of capital letters was done on purpose, I believe they should be deserved).

Of course these papers want to support the gut-less of the area, that way they can bully thier way into trying to convince the good folks of the CNP into doing what they want.

And good old Gary is perfect for that, meloncholy about a history that countermines a future.

Someone should ask Andrew Fairhurst if the history of the CNP is making a difference to his marathon…

I think we all know what the answer will be..

Tony Taco

Tony Taco,
    … John if you do not succeed in turning the CNP around in the next while, there would be no shame in bailing…

Now there’s a scary thought. Could it be that the majority of the good people of the ‘Pass want to continue down the road to nowhere that they have been on for so many years now? With the likes of John and Gary?

In the famous words of Shoeless Joe, all I have to say to that is, “Say it ain’t so Joe, say it ain’t so”.

The article right above your announcement explains the Herald’s policy quite well.

Anon @11:19 (Pass Herald staff contributor?)
    Time will tell whether you follow it… or not? After all the Herald’s track record has always been to make it up as you go along, and rules and policies are for everyone else, isn’t that so? Biases and favouritism is our mainstay, it has been said.

btw/ we’ll see how good your ‘objectivity’ is when you report on both Gary and Dean’s upcoming notice of motions next week. With respect to the latter’s motion on security development deposits, we as a community are still waiting for the Herald to report on how River Run (Bridgecreek) was able to get away without putting any monies up, while having a highly paid (overpaid?) CAO and long-time serving mayor at the helm of this development project, whose only success to-date it seems has been to stick the taxpayers of this community with the bills, due to their obvious lack of foresight, due diligence and common sense?

This news story probably just escaped your attention as did the fact you have been continually promoting these guys at Bridgecreek, our mayor, and a former employee of this outfit who was sitting on council as a councillor at the time. I guess your sense of objective journalism does not apply to holding your own accountable for their actions, does it? Only the gang of four are guilty as sin it seems.

Now, after all this (which is only the tip of the iceberg), you expect the people in this community to look upon you as a credible, reliable, honest newspaper that serves this community well? I’m sorry to break your bubble but that day has still not arrived where the good people of this community can say that with honesty, sincerity, and with a clear conscience.

It has been said, “Actions lie louder than words”. With the election upon us, many of us will be watching your ‘actions’ while paying little attention to your words. I suggest, this is something the Herald should keep in mind.

Received a comment from one of our local media people who failed to identify themselves (Anonymous) that was both condescending and demeaning, and which failed to address any of the issues I have been raising. As a result, their comment will not be appearing here.

In future media person, if you want to use my blog as a platform to defend the indefensible and attack me personally, then have the courage to do so openly by using your real name, as I do. And save your vial and nasty remarks for your own newspaper where they belong, as this blog is not a ‘rag’, as yours has deservedly earned a well-known reputation of being (or becoming?). This blog deals with ‘real issues’ in an up front and honest manner, and does not resort to character assassination as yours does to justify their existence and in order to push their hidden agendas.

Hi John, could not help but notice that you wrote that one of your newspapers in the Crowsnest Pass has hidden agendas? Is there some sort of link between one of the local papers and some of your town council reps? I’m new to the area and trying to find out why my taxes are kind of expensive. Was it a bad idea to buy a cabin here? I found your blog after I read in the paper that you were running in the fall election. By the sounds of it, I hope you win.

Rhonda Parker

John

Actually the reporting of the Notices of Motion will be interesting.
    I expect it will go something like this:
    Page 1 “Future of Crowsnest Pass saved” Council thanks to motion brought forth by Councilor Taje takes stand in opposition to power lines running along the river in Frank. (With large picture of local Fisherman fly fishing in the river at Frank)
    Page 14 underneath the large article on the world famous stamp collector who passed through the Pass on his way to a convention in Alaska 7 and a half years ago will appear a 2×2 story regarding Security on developments. “Council implements policy for developers to provide security before commencing projects” Of course there will be no mention of which Councilor brought this forth, or which ones supported the motion.
    On both motions it will come back to painting a particular picture.

Sorry John

I forgot to sign that post

Dean

Hello Rhonda,
    Thank you for your well wishes and for commenting.

First, let me say that yes most people in this community are being overly taxed and have been for quite some time considering what few services, facilities and amenities are available to the people here. We have had years of turmoil, ineptitude, poor leadership and management. All of this for the most part has gone unreported due to a local media that does an excellent job in covering everything up, rather than exposing what is, for what it is. The mayor and at least one councillor have one paper in their back pocket, while the other is too intimidated and too scared of their own shadow to be effective at anything else but selling advertising to the local rubes, who unwittingly pay handsomely for this privilege. However, on the bright side people are waking up to how very little they get for their tax dollars and how they are being used and deceived by both the establishment in this town and by their lackeys in the media.

But look Rhoda, having said what I have said there is hope things will be changing for the better soon with a new mayor and council that is beholding to no special interest groups or old boys club, only to their fellow residents and taxpayers in this community. A brighter day is ahead and therefore I can say with all sincerity you have not made a mistake moving here as things are soon going to be getting a whole lot better. I believe this with all my heart, because I and my council are going to make it so!!

Dean,
    You’ve summarized my thoughts exactly. We’ll see if they ‘finally’ shed some light on your motion and with respect to how this Mayor, Councillor Taje and our CAO have handled things to date with respect to their ‘cozy’ relationship with Bridgecreek, at taxpayer expense. Resignations should have been demanded of these people a long time ago, but instead our media being the obvious flunkies that they are act as though they are oblivious to everything around them with respect to this matter. Is it any wonder they are looked upon as being part of the problem, rather than part of the solution? Until that changes, nothing else will.

But we do have an election coming up that could change everything, don’t we…

Vote For Me – I’ll Set You Free! :-)

Well, I have actually heard quite a few things about the way that the town has been run for some time now.I have heard a lot about the mayor from some people that I know in Calgary about the Bridgecreek development thing and none of it good.I have heard Dean Ward on the news.Cannot say that I have ever heard of councillor Taje.Has he been there for very long?
    The ski hill is why we wanted to come down here.
    Rhonda

Dear Rhonda,
    If you want to know about Gary then checkout the council meetings for the last few months and you will see Gary is not here very much at all…

Us locals find it very interesting that that is okay whereas the Herald had a field day with Stolerik last term when at the end because of unforseen personal problems he found himself unable to attend much in the way of council meetings and/or committee meetings. Double standard or what? Then again Gary is related to the owners of the Herald whereas Stolerik was not. Explains much, doesn’t it, as to why Gary has been treated so kindly, given every break imaginable, and held unaccountable for his past actions and transgressions.

John, I see what you mean on the placement in both papers of your Press Release announcing your candidacy for mayor vs. Larry Mitchel. The editors here in this community really are tyrants who need to be taken down a notch or two by someone showing them up for who and what they truly represent. Good for you! Keep up the good work. You got our votes!!

15. Very accurate comments regarding the way Jiri Stolarik was treated, the media did not cut him any slack when he was a way for personal reasons

Dean Ward

“Readers haven’t gone to the Internet and other news media because it is cheaper or easier; they’ve gone because they no longer trust what the newspapers are printing.”

Nice quote! Especially true in our community here in the Crowsnest Pass…

The Promoter is becoming an out of town newspaper as they slowly sell off their building and get their handful of employees to work from home, while getting ready to slap a business sign in some hovel somewhere in order to give a farcical appearance of still being a ‘local’ newspaper. While the Herald are who they are… a pox on our community.

Meanwhile both are more interested in selling advertising and pushing an agenda on behalf of their political masters, than reporting the truth on what really goes on in our municipality. Both are nothing more than puppets that defend the economic, social, and political agendas of the privileged groups in our community. That is who they truly represent… which for the most part is not you and me! They don’t represent us! Not by a long shot!! They are nothing more than a propaganda machine for the establishment. Remember that as we go into the election.

The thing about Mr. Taje is that he wants to find work elsewhere doesn’t he? I heard he was some kind of union rep or something.
    Good for him to find a job like that in these economic times.
    But doesn’t that also mean that his interests lay somewhere else? I know how he likes to promote the CNP for fishing but that’s about the only time I ever hear about him.
    Not very many folks making a living off fly fishing around here.

19. Fred Poirier says:

Hi John,
    this is more proof of how sloppy our local small rag wants to be just to make money with advertising and protect the power. Over here it’s probably easier than in your area because the owner of our local North Island Gazette owns 36 of these rags on the Island when the shit hits the fan they just move the manager to another area for an exchange with the manager of that area and they call that “problem solved”
    brain dead or what?
    Don’t give up! Keep beating on them they will eventually learn the news they way it is, not the way they want it to be.

20. Chloe says:

John, as an outsider I am still dumbstruck at the amount of press given the BBoys and their outright scam. Perhaps the BBoys have dossiers on all and sundry peolple in the CNP that had any relationship with them including the media. As a victim of the BBoys lies, I look forward to a serious investigation held within CNP to provide an accounting by the current council. Yeah, pigs will fly before that happens. Again, all the best to you in your campaign, take care.

Chloe,
    This council won’t give you any answers and the media as exemplified by this week’s Promoter newspaper acting as PR tool for the mayor won’t and have not to date asked any tough questions either. We have lost over half our population over the last few years under this mayor’s reign, are deep in debt, have no reserves, put all our money into questionable infrastructure projects at the expense of everything else, are divided as a community having had for the most part dysfunctional councils due to a dysfunctional mayor, and on top of all this we have had the River Run fiasco, and yet the media in this town by their collective silence on these matters try to behave as if everything is okay? Tell me who is in denial here, the people like you and the others who have been burnt, the long suffering residents of this community, or the media? Down with these hacks of the establishment who are attempting once again to bamboozle the public and saddle us with the same old same old, CRAP! Blogs Up, Hacks Down!!

Hi Chloe,
    I too, am a victim of the Bridgecreek… ahem…mistakes…
    maybe John, if you become mayor, you could find out if there has been corruption within the municipality as it relates to the BC boys..A couple of names certainly do come to mind right away.
    I do know of a fellow who is very interested in investigating what went on in this fiasco…His name is Patrick Burles at country 95 news in Lethbridge…email..
    news@country95.fm
    you also may wish to speak to Dori Modney
    News Director

Break this story open John and you may get all the publicity you ever wanted.

All indications are the establishment here are desperate to keep a lid on this business and will stop at nothing to ensure the light of day does not fall on their dastardly deeds. For the most part these are the same people who have frozen and attempted to starve me out for years. I owe them no favours as they have never done any for me. Let the chips fall where they may.

In this regard, your media people will soon have their story. For those responsible for the fiasco we as a community find ourselves in must be held accountable for their past transgressions.

I’m not after publicity. Just want to see justice done for both investors and residents alike, and see to it if we can’t pick up the pieces and move on turning what is presently a blight on our community into a development of a community within a community that we can all be proud of.

Here’s the picture as I see it. Next editions of the Promoter and Herald will feature Taje as the saviour of the CNP with J.I. as the selfless man willing to give of himself again albeit in a jr. capacity. The edition after that will have Gary riding on his ‘hero’ status wave announcing his candicacy for Mayor. Both ‘establishment’ newspapers naturally will rant and rave at how blessed and lucky we all are to have both these individuals ‘working’ for us. Yep! That’s how I see it playing out.Of course there will be no mention of Bridgecreek or that they are largely responsible for the mess we as a community find ourselves in because of their countless foibles. Of course not…

“I’m sure our media’s performance and fanfare will only improve once candidates more to their liking come forward.”

You were right John, Bruce Decoux got page 3 while the reporting of your candidacy got page 13? I guess we now know who the Pass Herald is rooting for. Could they be more obvious and transparent, I think not. Like you said once before “they are a pox on our community” and prove it time after time. I hope they soon get what they deserve! Run them out of town like they have done to so many others over the years. Consider it part of the Community Standards Bylaw clean up. :-)

I would be careful using some reporters mentioned as they are usually bias and may have a history of not presenting the full truth.