Mr. Mayor, hold off on that bulldozer for the CLC

A few posts back I talked about Affordable Housing and how there was a need for it in our community and how we could go about providing it here in the Pass utilizing the CLC site.

Along these lines, Buddy at the Pass Herald did an excellent editorial (see below) in this week’s edition of his paper, with respect to a missed opportunity.

Assisted living

For unknown reasons, this vast community does not have any ‘Assisted Living Accommodations’.

Communities half our size, for example, Pincher Creek is home to a brand new facility.

How I envy Pincher Creek, home to a large facility that offers excellent accommodations to their seniors and those in the surrounding areas.

Every time I drive past the former Learning Centre in Blairmore I realize what a perfect facility it could have been if it had been converted into assisted living here in the Crowsnest Pass.

It had a full sized stainless steel kitchen, a large spacious dining room area with excellent tables and chairs, an awesome stone fire place, floor to ceiling windows in numerous meeting rooms and excellent fully furnished room accommodations.

Some of the the outside benefits include an excellent view of the surrounding mountains, a location surrounded on three sides by asphalt pavement, numerous handicapped ramps, lamp-pole night lighting, eye appealing plants and shrubbery and a list that goes on and on.

I’m aware of an old saying, “Hindsight is always better than foresight” however, the sad fact is this community should have been one of the first in the province to offer assisted living accommodations to our senior citizens.

I can only imagine the joy and happiness many of our citizens would experience knowing they could live the rest of their ‘golden years’ in this beautiful valley of their choice. At least that’s the way I see it.

TS

Comment:

Before I go any further let me tell you one additional feature Buddy forgot to mention on his impressive list of attributes on why the CLC is an ideal location for an Assisted Living Facility. I just said it, LOCATION. What better location can one find for a facility such as this than one next to a hospital, hardware store, Sobeys, Bargain Shop, a bank, movie rental place, pizzeria, a convenience store/gas station (open 24 hrs.), Tim Horton’s, while being within walking distance to a golf course and the downtown core.

Personally, I think this mayor and council lacked vision and foresight. I also think they made a big mistake when finding they had no serious buyers for the CLC site in not sub-dividing the property, tearing down the old hospital part with the intent of selling it for commercial purposes while investing in the newer part to upgrade it so that it could serve as an Assisted Living Facility for our local seniors so that they could remain living in their hometown of the Crowsnest Pass. I know of one lady (a former councillor) who dreads the idea of one day having to make that move to another community (leaving behind her Garden of Eden), who would like that very much.

Based on what I have been hearing and reading with respect to how Medican has not been living up to their end of the bargain in constantly asking for one extension after another on existing conditions in the contract (if there actually is one?), and knowing as we do that it is highly unlikely they will be able to perform and deliver on their end of the bargain due to a number of what appears to be insurmountable barriers and obstacles. One of which is the present saturation of hotel rooms in our region. I say we terminate the agreement or renegotiate after sub-dividing and excluding the newer part from any future sales contract and development agreement with these people, or with any other interested party.

If I in fact do run for mayor and am successful, I hereby pledge to work towards this end. That people here can take to the bank.

In the meantime, I would encourage mayor and council to hold off on that bulldozer for the CLC site. Otherwise, be prepared to face the wrath of our people here, especially from our seniors, if at the end of the day we land up with the destruction of these buildings (and a big hole) followed by ^no actual hotel development, as promised.

Power is given to a person, not to oppress the weak, but to support and help the weak.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Mr. Mayor, hold off on that bulldozer for the CLC

Great idea, John.

Now that it is gutted and has not been kept up for three years, how much would it cost us taxpayers to restore and renovate the facility?

Can you suggest an alternative location?

I suggest you take a walk around the Crowsnest Centre and then take a tour of the new Pincher facility.

Just try to look old and grey, like you’re a potential resident, and they will be happy to show you around.

If it was such a great idea someone would have done it already.

My guess… not finacially viable here.

The old hospital should be demolished and the nursing home should be gosh darn a nursing home.

There is enough room to build a really nice assisted living facility and a nice seniors apartment style building on the Site also. Good god why is this now appearing as a new idea.

If people would quit trying to stab each other in the back and worrying about someone with initiative making enough to live on for the few years it takes to develop something would happen.

There are people with legitimate businesses that are harassed and others that survive on volunteers and public lands that are deemed saviours or something that should be encouraged. How about everyone get behind something that will keep our elder boomers, seniors, and very seniors in this community. It would be one of the most positive things to happen in recent memory.

As everyone is aware the cnp has a very elderly population….. Let’s keep them in the cnp,support them and develop a robust community again.

There are some great older folks like Anne Spatuk that still get it and call BS…. When are folks going to recognize and use some of the support and knowledge of these folks. They are the key to starting to rebuild this community.

Positive ideas and support will move the community forward not what has been happening. Let’s change things.

Let’s listen and not immediately take out the knives, as we have shown on a time or two that we can be a cohesive bunch when it is really needed. Now is one of those times.

I thought the Crowsnest Centre originally was an assisted living facility. What was it? I think it’s a great idea, and would be an ideal location, but I fear that it has been left to decay to the point of no return. Not that I know anything about that stuff or anything, just thinking that it looks pretty fragile. My sister says that there is a theory that buildings have a kind of soul, and if left empty, start to decay faster. I think there might be a little truth to this. Anyway, as a retirement community, this place is ideal. Why not embrace that and make it a “vision?” Let’s face it, we are more suited to that vision than as a manufacturing mecca. I sure don’t want to spend my golden years in the “big cities.” We also need to work on making more places “accessible,” this not only benefits the elderly and handicapped, but all those Mom’s (and Dad’s) out there with the wee ones in the strollers. This is the 21st century after all isn’t it??

Um, memory refresher – perhaps you should ask Dean W which council decided to close the CLC?

Your comment moved me. You are so right!

Your sister is truly wise, in that what she says has merit, I think. A structural engineer (building inspector) for sure would need to be called in to do an assessment. If salvageable, then its not to late and Buddy’s idea has a lot of merit.

The real question is why did this council for three years let the newer part of the centre sit empty and rot when there is a real need for an Assisted Living complex, never mind Affordable Housing, shelter for women from violence, etc. What were they thinking?

Haha guess what the clc investors backed out

Just wondering, are not the assisted living complexes built and run by the Alberta Government?

Yes we need assisted living. I worded on both sides of that building in the late 70 and 80’s they are old inefficient building very costly to run and maintain. That was why the province built the new hospital.
    I see this as an attempt to get Buddy supporting your mayoralty candidacy. Drive by those building they are a disgrace and that’s on the out side. Do you have any idea how much asbestos there is in both those building.
    John I will vote for your good ideas this is NOT one of them.

And affordable housing, is it not also run by AB Government?

Those building are a real eye sore this idea makes no sense at all. We need an assisted living building like pincher. Do it right,

You sound like one of those dimwitted pussies we’ve been talking about lately. First of all, the old hospital part is the building with the asbestos and that is the building I said we should tear down and sell off for commercial purposes. Secondly, Lisa hates me with a passion and has actively worked against me in my previous mayoralty campaigns (including that close race in 2007 in which some people say I won, where she was the Returning Officer). Buddy would never cross her, so where do you get off making such stupid disparaging remarks about my character and motives for writing on the things I do? You don’t know me at all, if you think the way you do.

75per cent of us voted to get rid of those building now Wards council only had one year these guys have had three years. I for one am getting tired of the delays and excuses.

Please quit the name calling. Sounds like kindergarten all over again!

Better ways to put your point across.

I think the location for a assisted living facility is really good. But I think to renovate even the newer part of the building would not be cost effective. Better off to start from scratch then to put lipstick on a pig. I also do not think the municipality should tear down anything unless the property is actually sold. It would cost greater than 700k to remove these buildings. Lastly I do not think the municipality should be in business. Government in business seldom works out well for the taxpayer. The area could be promoted to developers much like the hotel idea was.

Remember on Election Day a dimwits vote carrys the same value as an intellects

what the hell is the matter with you people. Everything has its day and the Crowsnest Center had its day. It would take 16million dollars to restore the structure (brick part) and another 12 million for the old nursing home according to the engineering report done at that time. It was a government project that combined nursing home people with retired citizens and IT DIDN’T WORK. Find another location and start from scratch to build a facility that would make us proud and last a very long time.

Interesting excerpt from the Mayor’s newsletter:

In closing, I can’t help but poke some fun at our local “Cavers”. It appears that this newsletter, committed to truth and fact, is somewhat unnerving to the “oracles of rumour and misinformation.” Perhaps they are losing their stature on coffee row or on the silly blogger circuit. This month the usual material has ranged from bad-mouthing our emergency procedures and our people, and of all things, to undermining our newsletter. The actions and success of our Administration and crews speak for themselves. As to our newsletter being political; well, I am the Mayor and I will make some political comments and I do trust that you will form your own opinion. So far no complaints, except from the Cavers. Please note that this newsletter is budgeted for and falls within our plan to improve communication and transparency. It costs you about $0.65 per month and I have many requests for twice a month. Further, the Council expects to have a report on streaming our Governance and Priorities Committee and Council meetings directly to you, hopefully by September. We would also like to arrange for our seniors to view us “in living color” at the York Creek Lodge, Long Term Care and our Senior Centres. Soon I hope you will all be able to see and hear us – and watch us commit our errors and omissions (which we are learning to make fewer of as we progress). Have a wonderful summer!

“The truth doesn’t hurt unless it ought to.” – B.C. Forbes

I’m not after the dimwit vote. I’m after the intelligent discerning person’s vote. The ones who know a good thing when they see it, and can think for themselves, who don’t blindly follow the crowd voting for a name not knowing the man because he is a local boy who was born here. I want people who can tell the difference between meritocracy earned and entitlement expected and given to those with no track record of standing up for their community, especially during the Irwin years when he was running it into the ground with their blessings because he looked after his self-serving boys. If people here, once again, still want to support those based on whether a mayoralty candidate is a member of the lucky sperm club then what does that say about dimwittedness in this community?

Is that what you want for your next mayor, more of the same old boys club? Mayoralty candidates who kiss babies who as soon as elected pisses on your leg and then tells you it must be raining. If so, then don’t be voting for me because I’m not like that. What you see is what you get. No surprises.

I’m in your face telling you things you don’t want to hear, that make you uncomfortable, that makes you face your fears and uncertainties while raising your anxiety levels. I’m the medicine that tastes bad but is good for you. Provided you have the intestinal fortitude to take it? Status quo and predictability I am not. For that dimwits need to vote for one of the elite establishment crowd. I’ll take my chances that most people have had their fill and want to get off that insane merry-go-round.

North American Industry Classification System(Statistics Canada)
    links to lists of retail, educational, healthcare, anything that could go on the CC site.

If a company or government with money wanted to develop one of these uses, which would you reject? (Of course, some of them are obviously unsuitable and unlikely to be proposed).

John, you just lost my vote. Seniors’ services in this town is a good idea.

You can regain my vote by demonstrating that you have the self-discipline to engage in constructive dialogue.

If you lose the “dimwit vote”, you will lose the election. Try to find a way to engage us and convince us that you can do the job. Show more respect for everyone, even your detractors. True leaders cement communities; you see ours as fragmented … fix it!

I’m sorry I don’t measure up to your high expectations in wanting more polished glitter than substance. In future, I will endeavour to measure up, so that I can once again regain your confidence and vote.

In truth, having just read this month’s Mayor’s Corner before reading your comment, silly me, I thought you were referring to our mayor and not to me, when saying “I object strongly to your inability to handle valid criticism with any response but name-calling and a defensive tirade inspired by anger.” It seems our mayor repeatedly in our municipal newsletters has the same characteristics you find so objectable in me?

Exactly right, and that is what you tell you you could change…

11:37, here again, in reply …

Why shouldn’t my expectations be high? Show us that you are up to the task of reaching for them!

Yes, you share many of the people skills of our present inadequate Mare.

10:47 quoted from Bruce:
    “As to our newsletter being political; well, I am the Mayor and I will make some political comments and I do trust that you will form your own opinion. So far no complaints, except from the Cavers. Please note that this newsletter is budgeted for and falls within our plan to improve communication and transparency. It costs you about $0.65 per month”

I don’t care if it’s $0.01, it’s taxpayers money. The CAO is responsible for spending budgeted funds according to bylaws and policies. He is the publisher and editor of the Newsletter and responsible for it’s content. As a civil servant he should not be publishing blatantly political mudslinging rumours like Bruce’s “four horsemen” remark in June. Can you think of any other example of civil servants, municipal, provincial or federal, doing this sort of thing?

Anon 10:37

“It was a government project that combined nursing home people with retired citizens and IT DIDN’T WORK.”

I’d like some reasons why it didn’t work. Did the government (provincial?) build it, and then neglect it, passing the buck to the municipality, to dig it out of a hole? Looks like that could be happening again, in many other areas as well, schools, bridges, health services, what next? These are provincial areas of concern, and the province has to quit passing the buck to the municipalities, who do not have the resources, and tax base at the same level. The alternative is to just close down all the little places, and pack us all into 2 or three major centres in the province, so that they can deal with their population on the most efficient level. It’s a big province, can we not use the whole thing?

Continuing 1:48
    The CNP Employee Code of Conduct says don’t:
    “Post, solicit, distribute, wear or otherwise display political material or Messages in or on Municipal Assets.”

Politicians send out newsletters all the time. At all levels of government. I see nothing wrong with it; updating the people.

Have you seen the poll on Dean’s blog? (The one regarding the newsletter?) I’m sure the Mayor has. He refuses to see what is before his eyes. Apparently, so do you.

65 cents a month? I love the way they do the math. I think he means 65 cents per citizen. Now let’s do the math and calculate how much it REALLY costs us!

John,

I really think that you should reflect on your post of 10:47 AM.

You have just reduced yourself to the same level as our current mayor. Instead of referring to those that don’t believe in a person’s political policy as “Cavers” you call them “Dimwits” thus negating a lot of your recent arguments.

It is always a good idea to put one’s mind in gear before engaging the keyboard or mouth. What makes a person want to believe that your perceived vision of the future will be any different when you just posted what can be perceived as ‘it is my way or the hiway’?

I think the old hospital site should be used as a space to build small independant businesses Not to bring in any box store type establishments or more hotels that we dont need. We have worked hard to avoid those types of revenue. If it was build to conformity and eye appealing, something rustic or log type. Something like what Bragg creek has. I find that very appealing and eye catching. Very country-like as our “mountain freedom” Slogan suggests.

8 05
    My way or the highway?
    I don’t know if you are a Caver or a Dimwit or you are stuck in first geer.
    I will say it again a Mayor is just a mouth for a council.
    The decisions are made by votes of the Councilors the Mayor just break a tied.
    But of cource if you have a bunch of MANURE for councillors the MAYOR turn in to a MARE and control the situation.
    WHO do you blame?
    The bums that took the job they can’t performe!!!!!!!!!

So Buddy says, “It’s a well known fact that more senior citizens live in the Crowsnest Pass than anywhere else in Alberta.”

I think he meant to say the ‘percentage’ of seniors living in the Pass ….

because in Calgary in 2011 there were approximately 106,000 seniors.

Sorry, he just worded it really badly.