Novel idea for feeding our poor… STOP HARPER!

STOP HARPER!

Just read a story in which a fellow in my old stomping grounds of Vancouver came up with a novel idea on helping the hungry and homeless in one of the worst ghettos in our country. Stop Harper!

Give it a read and ask yourself like I have been doing if something like this could work in smaller communities like ours, as well? Having virtually no panhandlers but still having plenty of hungry people, and believe it or not, homeless as well.

“Your heart goes out to people stepping up to help feed the homeless and the hungry,” said activist Bill Hopwood. ”I wish the government had one-tenth the heart.”

Save On Meats launches sandwich token system to help feed Vancouver’s poor

Comment:

As you read this post today keep in mind that our provincial premiers are meeting today in Halifax at their annual First Ministers Conference to discuss urgent matters including: the economy, unemployment, health care, poverty, etc. most of which fall under federal jurisdiction.

Prime Minister Harper breaking with precedent refused to attend this meeting. Is it any wonder why I hate this man so much for being nothing more than a corporatist lackey for the multinationals (including big oil) who does not believe in Canadian Federalism (national policies and programs) and therefore fails his country and its people, while at the same time selling them both out every chance he gets turning us all into nothing more than wage and debt slaves, and poverty cases, in a land of plenty.

People in this country have now been reduced to nothing more than “alienated individuals held together by a culture industry that serves the interests of capitalism”.

STOP HARPER!

Forgive me for noting that conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less.

This entry was posted in Canadian Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Novel idea for feeding our poor… STOP HARPER!

1. The Doomsayer says:

John, all I can say at this point is Gosh Damn It, FOCUS!!!

The fight is here, right here, right now, as the men & women of the Pass band together to fight to preserve what they want for their way of life.
    You have indicated you want to run for council, well, show some leadership now, show how you can stick to a problem without going off on a tangent & concentrate on what is happening here. Maybe, just maybe that will translate into votes come next October. It is all well & good to rant about Harper but not when we have enough of our own local problems. Save the fight with Harper for when we have the luxury of a stable community & can waste time tilting at federal windmills

You have a very good point about the poor in the Crowsnest Pass, many of the seniors that built this place barely have enough to get by & it is actually scary when you realize how many working poor we have here. Many of them are working 2-3 jobs just to survive. And to those that say “let them get a job in the mines”, not everybody can or wants to work there.

As Kaiser Decoux & crew of yes-men build their version of a modern utopia, how many poor will we have? How many seniors will lose the homes they spent a lifetime earning because they can’t afford all the fees, etc? How many of our working poor will simply move to where they can afford to live, leaving the place they love to live?

Yes, we do need to look after our poor because our council obviously will not.

john i heard a rumor that the fire service costs the taxpayers 4500 a DAY!!!! is this true can anyone anwser this

I do not know anyone down in CNP working 2 to 3 jobs. There are a lot of jobs that cannot get filled. Just in the last week, Sears, and the clothing store across from it; SuperValue (produce clerk).
    I think that is quite a few jobs. Anyone that lives down here is not going to get an oil exec job or such. Never have, never will. Don’t know what all the fuss is about.

4. Jose says:

Doomsayer, I’ll SECOND your first paragraph before John answers — if he does — on this part. Just wait until Justin gets the Liberal Party nod, and follows through on his hate Alberta agenda, and his comment that Canada belongs to us, I.e., Quebec. That’ll really tear on John. (Easy there, John).

Rather than fine any seniors that need assistance cleaning up their place, we should use some of the Peace Officer fine money for this purpose. Put a few students to work doing this rather than building a Head Office staff that trips over each other and creates their own internal work.

Plus, the Municipality could grant a rebate to senior’s tax bills for those that are in need. The Seniors have paid their dues to society, and shouldn’t have to be forced to pay for the “Dream Team’s” future vision.

Jose

The Municipality does have a tax rebate program??? I thought everyone would know about it. The Government of AB also has a program regarding taxes. So there is really no excuse for not paying your tax bill.

As far as the property clean-up goes, I do not think it is the idea that the people cannot afford to do it; it is just that they have gotten away with not keeping their properties up for so long. When you do that they just get in more and more disrepair. I know seniors here that have a ton of money and still live in a house that is in intensive need of repair. They just choose to spend their money elsewhere.

Doomsayer,
    I hear what both you and Jose are saying and in this regard maybe my comments regarding Harper would have been better served in another forum. I’ve been given good advice in the past here on this blog about sticking to local issues. From now on, I’ll try to remember to do that. Maybe, I’ll set up another blog for my federal rants, for when the urge strikes me to speak out?

Poverty is a serious issue that all levels of government are failing at miserably, including our own municipal government. Unfortunately its business as usual for these people because they are insulated, and either oblivious and/or uncaring to the problem like Anon @7:37 and Anon @9:13 (who I suspect are one and the same, and a councillor to boot) and cannot phantom the magnitude of people’s suffering today, especially our seniors and those on fixed incomes or now having to dip into savings because dividend payments such as GIC’s pay practically nothing. Meanwhile costs for everything keep going up and inept governments keep raking it in on the backs of those who can least afford it.

That is why we need more people having a capitalist mind and socialist heart in politics today which brings me to my friend Jose’s comment about Justin.

I think what Justin said, Jose, was taken out of context. Nothing more than what an Albertan or B.C.er might say i.e. Canada belongs to me. The son of a true nationalist would not be saying what he’s being accused of sayin, I don’t think.

But hey, at the risk of Doomsayeer getting on my case again, lets leave federal politics out of this blog.

John, seperate blogs or not, it still comes down to focus and ones train of thought.

Even focused people need diversions now and then.

9. The Doomsayer says:

Hey John, I’m not really getting on your case, just giving you a nudge like my wife gives me at times, “what are you doing starting something else when you have 2 unfinished jobs already?” We all need a kick once in awhile just to keep us going in the right direction.

Don’t give up on the federal side, when we have this current mess somewhat straightened out, I’ll be more than happy to join you. I’ve tilted at that particular windmill more than a few times in the past.

I think you have a point about Anonymous @ 7:37 & 9;13. There very few if any full time jobs available, anything advertised is part time with no benefits. Even if you work almost full time hours, you still need more to cover expenses. I think the old expression, “There are none so blind as those who will not see” applies here.

Doomsayer @10:43,
    With respect to the last part of your comment, few people I believe are aware that class war was declared on working people more than thirty years ago by the 1%ers. During this period, we have seen a steady erosion and decline in wages and living standards. Today, fewer than 25% of jobs are of the traditional kind. That is full-time, paying a liveable wage, having pensions and benefits. Over 75% of jobs today are part-time, minimum wage, no pension, no benefits and of course no security. As well, benefits and programs have been cut or eliminated for those on the bottom rung of the ladder. Seniors and others on fixed income struggle daily to stay alive and to stay afloat. Governments today supply us with illusions, but that is all they are illusions. The reality is life today is a nightmare for most people.

I believe that working within the system I can make a difference for the better in people’s lives here, while advocating for much needed reforms at both the provincial and federal levels. This is why Doomsayer, my friend, I so readily agreed or acknowledged in my previous comment to you that you were right we must not get ahead of ourselves and instead remain focused on our own backyard first, and then on to Jerusalem.