The Evil that Men do…. all in the name of a buck

The Evil that Men do

My first reaction after reading this week’s Crowsnest Promoter editorial was to state to a friend when having coffee at the Stone’s Throw that I’m going to roast this guys nuts over a slow burning fire. But then I thought, that would be too kind. :-) Besides, I would be assuming his angst was directed at me when in fact it most likely was not. Instead, I’ve decided to report what I know of the truth on this matter in a fair and impartial manner, and then let my ‘dogs of war’ (blog readers) deal with him, as they see fit.

First, let me state the obvious. This editorial is nothing more than a hatchet job to appease mayor, council and administration while attacking their perceived detractors.

My sources tell me Joni MacFarlane, editor of the Crowsnest Promoter, is on stress leave due to mounting pressure having been exerted on her by her employers, as a result of complaints and threats of advertising cancellations by our municipality, due to how she has been faithfully doing her job in reporting the goings-on in our community, as they relate specifically to mayor and council’s on-going foibles and transgressions.

From the editorial (which this week is 2-3 times the normal size) we can clearly see as Doomsayer so astutely stated by way of comment in my previous post “a sugary endorsement of Mayor & council” while at the same time using last week’s flood as an opportunity and lead-up to launch a self-serving, visceral, and hateful frontal attack on Alternative Media (specifically local bloggers) that takes up at least half the space of his editorial filled with inaccuracies, half-truths and outright lies. Does he really believe he is saving his newspaper’s advertising account with our municipality with this blatant attack and smear campaign against bloggers, their readers and commenters, while directly attempting to muzzle freedom of expression?

It takes some chutzpah to come sauntering into a community for a week knowing little to nothing about the goings on prior, during, or afterward with respect to our flood situation and proceed by way of editorial to preach to the masses that your opinion only is the enlightened one, and all others are just the ramblings of negative people and the great unwashed. For your information (and without regurgitating everything that has already been said “on blogs” with our municipality’s serious ‘unpreparedness’ during this recent flood), back during the ’95 flood it is my understanding that Drain Bros. manned the Lyons Creek bridge with a backhoe for two weeks straight, and numerous volunteers and firefighters acted as spotters in key areas, thus mitigating flood damage. That did not happen this time around. As a result, we suffered serious, unnecessary and totally avoidable flood damage. In fact, this time around our municipality, because of literally burning bridges with our volunteers and former firefighters, had such a shortage of manpower that I heard on the radio today a dozen municipal workers from Pincher Creek were needed to assist us in our flood relief efforts. If these indisputable facts are not enough or worthy of discussion and even criticism by those who visit and participate on social media, such as blogs, then I know not what is?

Since when has it become fashionable in print media circles to suppress the truth, while ridiculing those in social media who report it?

I guess in his zeal to brown-nose and appease our mayor to curry his favour this is the part of the story Bryan negligently (or more likely, deliberately, I would suggest) neglected to report on to his readers, being fixated as he was in using the opportunity provided to take advantage and settle some unknown scores and in the process unfairly and cowardly attack those he had unfavourable dealings with in the past here when covering council, during Dean Ward’s term.

Personally, I never had any professional dealings with Bryan so I can’t see how his malicious and hurtful comments could have been personally directed at me. In fact, the handful of personal dealings we had together were always friendly and cordial, as the following recent email exchange attests to:

From: bryan.passifiume
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 6:50 PM
To: johnprince@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: Welcome back and Good Luck!

Hey there John!

Thanks for the email! Great to hear from you.

Thanks for the email, I really appreciate it. Its good to be back.

Regards,

Bryan

Sent from Samsung Mobile

——– Original message ——–
From: John Prince
Date: Friday, April 26, 2013 6:46 PM
To: bryan.passifiume@sunmedia.ca
Subject: Welcome back and Good Luck!

Hello Bryan,

When reading the Pincher Creek Echo just now I spotted your name and thought it sounded familiar and then when I read your ‘There’s a new editor in town’ it clicked.

Welcome back Bryan! I wanted to be one of the first to tell you so.

Warmest Regards,
John

Unless, that is, Bryan is an unthinking, dim-witted, two-faced, hypocrite who would sell his own mother for an advantage to those who obviously think little of him and his profession? As the following audio clip of our mayor in conversation seems to confirm:

Sounds like “We have two newspapers and they put out a lot of crap”, doesn’t it?

Anyhow, the fact that Bryan has only recently returned to this area and in fact is not even from here but from Pincher Creek, and as a result has lost touch with the people and local situation here, while not fully doing his homework in the process before reporting on local events, while again at the same time attacking a huge segment of our population who actively use social media, makes one thankful that he is only filling in for a week. His type of journalism, laced with poison, could not be tolerated for much longer than that, I’m thinking. The following quote speaks to this very point. “If you’re not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.

In closing, and speaking on behalf of bloggers everywhere, I would just say, upon leaving the Pass next week Bryan to return to Pincher Creek, don’t let the door hit you in your ass as you leave. In addition, please give us some advance notice if you ever plan on filling in again here so that we can make sure we ^don’t buy your paper for that week. In addition, we extend an invitation to you to please be our guest and allow us to entertain you the next time you are in town. Some water-boarding sounds like fun… now doesn’t it, Bryan? :-)

Journalists work for their owners, the owners work for themselves. It has nothing to do with reporting truth.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics, Newspapers-Media and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to The Evil that Men do…. all in the name of a buck

John, regarding the Editorial, one must first consider the source, and ignore it. I noticed no mention was made by BP in the Editorial of the CPR and the good work they did. Why is that? Where is the fair reporting?

Second, had the Municipality not waited to take action until there was a crisis, as the Mayor stated, it is entirely possible that the hard work done by those folks would have been much less. That is the reason for any apparent criticism, not politics. Could it be that some of those that lent a hand were also those that wrote in the blogs?

2. Doomsayer says:

John, great post & very to the point.

After re-reading the editorial, I can only come to one conclusion, Emperor Decoux & Bryan have to be sitting at the same table & drinking the same Koolaid. Decoux’s rant in the May Mayor’s Corner about “has beens, want to be’s, regressives and progressives of various sorts” has the same tone as Bryan’s direct attack on the Pass’s social media & “fledgling political aspirations”.

I have to admit that Bryan’s direct attack puzzles me, something usually not done by a reporter, much less an editor, albeit temporary. Such an action, especially in a small community can be a serious liability, impacting the paper’s income, something no business wants.

While the Emperor calls the papers here “crap”, most (sic) reporting has been factual & impartial & even under the most heated times, without the vitriol displayed by Bryan.

Very unprofessional, Bryan! Time to leave town.

“To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Too bad the disaster services organizing group did not unlock the door to the complex. Residents that went there as instructed turned around and went back home. Good thing the flooding wasn’t, bad enough to require a significant evacuation.

Darn bloggers. Next thing you know they’ll be wanting to translate the Bible from Latin to English so the unwashed can read it.

Bryan attacked the “Bloggers of Pincher Creek” in a previous editorial, by which one can only assume he meant his competition there, for getting the story right when he didn’t.

The Municipality office was open for people in place of the Complex. Still had places to go.

I will never deal with the mainstream media, I simply do not trust them and for good reason. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that if you want the truth stay with private bloggers.

You see bloggers don’t sell ads to the government and do not have revenue as their driving force, unlike mainstream media. I have never made a dime from my blog and never will. I have no motivation to lie or manipulate anything I post.

Well John: You have just witnessed capitalism at its worst. It’s all about money and greed, sell the newspapers irregardless of the actual facts left out and ignored. Joni is the finest editor that we have had on the promoter and she has stayed the course for the past almost three years and we can lend her our support until dear Bryan is returned to his rightful place in Pincher Creek. roasted nuts and all.

I just find it a bit sad that all Joni’s personal issues are now there for everyone to read.
    Would that be “confidentiality compromised”?

Nobody was “blaming the Blairmore disaster on Council”.

Bruce is saying preparedness was fine and everything went according to plan.

He should be asked, if there is the same rainfall warning next year, would he do exactly the same? No need for a review of plans and procedures, no possibility of learning from experience?

Instead of being alone in her struggles and battles, Joni, hopefully, now knows this community is aware of what is really going on and has her back.

Bryan lied to residents here in the Pass about her being on vacation “I’m covering for Promoter editor Joni MacFarlane, who in an amazing stroke of foresight chose this week to be on vacation”. Speaks volumes to the man’s honesty and integrity, don’t you think?

The topic of harassment comes up frequently. IMO Joni was harassed by the Municiplaity and one director in particular. We do not how much harassment by the Municipality went on behind the scenes, or if the Mayor put on the pressure through the Promoters owner. BP was but a puppet in the story. All he needed was a few strokes from the Mayor.

Of course everything went according to plan per the Mayor. That would have been the case regardless of the situation, and if it had been really bad, the Mayor would have pulled the lack of assistance from ex Volunteer Firemen out of the hat. As usual, it is someone else’s fault.

We get a good indication of the mentality of this Administration and Mayor. They practice CYA and play “in your face” as they justify the overhaul actions they have taken. Perhaps the storm allowed the mayor to act “mayorial” and wetted his appetite for yet another chance to do God’s work in the CNP.

No, I think you were way off base commenting on someone’s personal situation. The whole community did not need to know every detail. Some things are personal. I think Bryan totally said the right thing, vacation was all people needed to know.

14. Loreena Russomanno says:

Hey John,

“…going to roast this guys nuts over a slow burning fire” haha that’s funny!

Just to set the record straight: Joni MacFarlane, editor of the Crowsnest Promoter is not on stress leave, she is on vacation scheduled ages ago. Judging from our emails, she and her husband are relaxed, having a great time and a well-deserved break from local politics. There is no question that her job is stressful, but she stands strong and rocks it off week after week. Never underestimate Joni!

I found Brian’s editorial most interesting and somewhat shocking, but he is entitled to his opinion, and as I read the part where he trashes the bloggers, I agreed with the Mayor about,crap being in our local paper. I have no doubt that you and Dean(I assume you are the bloggers Brian was referring to) were either actively helping or wishing the best for the people affected, But I think it is great whenever people step up and voice their opinions. I have heard so many people in CNP say; they will not state their opinions for fear of repercussions to their family or business. That is absurd that people have to be afraid of speaking up!! We don’t need to agree, but we do need freedom of speech and FREEDOM OF THE PRESS! They are doing what most are afraid to do; signing their names. Of course the council and Mayor are not going to like when they are criticized publically, but it goes with the territory, same thing goes when one runs a public blog. Our editors are just doing their jobs and whether or not we agree with them, we should all value and never take for granted, freedom of speech. (I know you value it)

I enjoy yours and Dean’s blogs and the editorials in both papers. I even find the, Mayors corner entertaining. It takes a lot of courage to do a blog like you and Dean do, or a local paper like Joni and Lisa do. Yes there is a price to pay, I can tell you first hand, some very influential people in this town that are supposed to be supporting all business equally, have run serious interference in my business, but I still have full intentions of signing my name. There is a bigger price to pay for those who let bullies control them. It’s called self-respect. You guys rock!
    Just my two cents.

I agree with Loreena.

While I may disagree with Bryan’s sentiment, don’t you think it’s counterproductive to criticize his right to free speech while constatly exercising your right to it in your blog?

Come on, John. You’re made of better stuff than this.

I also agree with Lorenna. I think you went off the rails on this one John….

1:16 :
    I think John criticised what he said, not his right to say it.

Loreena,
    You’re a dangerous woman Loreena. For as you were kissing and hugging me I could feel the dagger penetrating my back. Or was that just my imagination? :-} Hard to tell as you seem to cover all bases in supporting both sides while taking none yourself? Just saying. :-0 :-)

Now on the other hand, I totally agree with you everyone is entitled to their opinion. But there is a fine line we must all walk and never cross between stating an honest opinion with good intentions, and intentional character assassination with malicious forethought by way of yellow journalism in deliberately telling only half the story (or truth) with, as I’ve said, malicious intent in mind, as in my opinion is what we saw with Bryan’s editorial of yesterday.

As it has been said, “Get the facts, or the facts will get you. And when you get them, get them right, or they will get you wrong.” Bryan didn’t care about getting all the facts or even getting them straight for that matter, for he was obviously on a mission to do in those he perceived had done him wrong at some point in the past, while at the same time, I suppose, hoping to feather his nest here (as a crass opportunist) with the political bigwigs and those of their ilk.

When he wrote what he wrote he was obviously choosing sides while demonstrating his biases, which is ^not what good journalists are suppose to do. End of story.

btw/ Thanks for the heads-up regarding Joni. Will have to see her when she gets back with the intent of setting the record straight.

Loreena, as always, I appreciate you commenting here and sharing your views. Take care!

joni is on vacation picking up a new car in the usa john

Well tell her to hurry back. We got a war going on here and we need our Joan of Arc. :-)

After all, the forces of darkness have taken over the Promoter and I don’t know how much longer I can fend them off? Hopefully, my dogs of war reinforcements will arrive soon, otherwise all is lost. :-0 :-)

We have on good authority the Mayor threatened to sue the Promoter. He has been calling the publisher complaining and threatening. He does not realize that he only a nuisance to the Sun Media and Quebecor. If they thought this is important market, they would let him sue and this would sell more papers. But this is not an important market, so the Sun Media does not want to invest any energy to support their editor in Blairmore. But if the Mayor wants to push more, they will eventually come around and do the right thing. Thank goodness for the bloggers or the locals would be dependent on the Mayor’s corner.

22. Loreena Russomanno says:

Just your imagination running wild John. I thought I was clear; I support Freedom of speech and Freedom of the Press. That does not mean I agree, with everything that is written. I thought I made it clear,I thought it was “crap” that Brian would suggest that the bloggers were just trouble makers while others were actually caring about what was going on. I have read enough of yours and Deans blogs to know that is not true. I admire, Dean, Joni and Lisa and yourself for having the courage to state your opinions on a regular basis. I acknowledge that it is not easy and comes with a price. I am sure the mayor’s corner is not meant to be “entertaining” so I thought when I said, I find it “entertaining” it would be pretty clear what my thoughts are on that self-serving piece of work.
    Bottom line, we can disagree, but I think everyone should be able to speak their minds.
    PS You are safe; when I throw daggers, my targets never wonder if they got hit, they know they got hit!
    Take care

The Sun had quite a few stories and editorials not favorable to Calgary Mayor, they would love for Neshi to threaten to sue, this would make the paper the instance the phone rang. The Promoter is disproportionally dependent on the municipal advertising and the publishers don’t seem to like to bother with us, probably don’t even know where we are. Unfortunate situation. Would be interesting to know how much money this council spent on lawyers and legal work. It is easy to engage in legal threats right after you removed $100,000 from senior housing.

Loreena,
    What can I say, your beautiful. A straight shooter who like the others you mentioned is not afraid to take a stand and call a spade a spade.

Thank you Loreena Russomanno. You’re my kind of woman! My apologies, for any misunderstanding. I should have knew better. :-( :-)

Lorena 1, John 0. Don’t feel bad John, it takes a good man to right a wrong. Perhaps the train is now back on the track. Time to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.

I should have “known” better.

Have you noticed how often Bryan quotes Gallant in various articles. There are some very deep bonds. Keep in mind Bruce is building a house down south, in needs a like minded successor.
    This portion of the media is attempting to entrench himself with the next Mayor.

Alex

Loreena Russomanno,
    Just to set the record straight! Regarding, Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press.

Look what happened to a girl that was not scared. She posted this video (click here) two months later the Gestapo (social workers) with the help of the local RCMP kidnapped her from her home, a year ago tomorrow, June 29/2012.

What will happen to her? Any suggestions?

Her father Fred.

29. Loreena Russomanno says:

Fred,
    I am not familiar with this story. That’s not to say I am not sympathetic to your story, I am just not familiar with it. I sincerely hope your daughter is ok.

Nobody forces anyone to believe what they read in papers or see on the internet. Sometimes mistakes are made,retractions need to be printed. It happens all the time. Businesses, newspapers and bloggers should not have to be worried about lawsuits or someone running interference in their lives or income, just because they say something that someone does not like.

Yes, I totally agree with your comment. But having said that, you see the consequences every day of that not being the case.
    Take Paula Dean for instance; she made one slip, and it is basically costing her everything. I think nowadays you have to be more responsible for what you say. That is the new world.

The problem is that the same people that dish out the punishment for the supposed infractions, usually have their closets full of skeletons. But they are part of the groups that are protected and remain untouched. Hypocrisy at it best.

The new world is being run by minority self interest groups who have the ear of the politicians in charge, and are able to impose their narrow agendas on the majority. Even if one speaks the truth one can be pummeled. The tail IS wagging the dog and our traditional standards are being upended with no recourse. No way back it appears.

! 15
    What does it mean?
    More responsable for what you say.
    Telling it like it is.
    Is that what you call not responsible.
    Then i ask.
    What is FREEDOM of speach?
    Freedom of expression?
    YOU have all the FREEDOM if you say nothing some one else will run your LIFE for you.
    Fred

Wake up. We do not have freedom of speech anymore. We are told by government what we should say, what we should and should not call people, etc. So, yes I guess if you want to avoid all the ramifications of your actions, watch what you say. If not, say what you want I suppose, especially if you have nothing to lose. And when you do it takes about 2 minutes to get around to everyone.

Just heard a good qote from George Burns {the poeople that should be running the country are all cutting hair or driving taxi}That is what we need here, not the rich, that don’t have to worry about paying their bills,and the educated that have already been brainwashed spendig all those years in schools with the masters of brainwashing, we have one now runing our municipality. Look at all the sheep he has that love their Jones, and they would drink the Kool Aid if he handed it to them. Thank God most of us were fotunate enough not to have rich parents who were not able to send us away to get brainwashed .I have no respect for indoctorated people, and I might add the more diplomas and junk they have hanging on their walls the stupeter they are. The more Diplomas, the more brainwashing.

If you do not stand up for your rights you will certainly loose what is left of your rights. Freedom has been an allusion for a long time, because nobody wants to go and upset the establishment. Do you not realize that we are the establishment, and we peasants pay all the bills. Don’t be a scared sheep andd stand up for your rights. The prople know what is good for them ,not the burocrats,

Anonj June 28 9:55 PM. Wow! You sure have a madon for education and anyone with a few buclks. Tieing the two together is even worse. Some people make use of their education and some don’t. So,e struggle to. Get through scholl on their own. Plus you don’t need an advanced education to do well or be successful.

You trash education and then mention all the Jones types. Are these all educated, or perhaps not and part of the reason that hey are followers. Hope you dontt need a doctor who has his/her wall filled with Diplomas. Would you walk out?

Getting a good education is the best thing you can do for your entire life.

3 13
    This have nothing to do with education.You are born a ass h—– or a good person impossible to be both.Education just help you to be good or bad your choice or your GREED can make you very bad.

3;13 WTF are you trying to say?

3:13 A well educated doctor will not cut your throat like an educated politician will. You sound like you are one of those who wash Brucy’s feet?

Anon 4:52

I agree that getting a good education is the best thing you can do for your entire life.

I believe that the “public” education system is a thorny path, that must be walked carefully.

In Alberta, we have the right to choose our own path to education. This is not true in all provinces in this country. It is a right that must be fought for and guarded carefully, as it is constantly being attacked and manipulated.

I was publicly educated, but my true life lessons were learned long after I left the system. We must be very careful to guard our rights, as they are slowly being eroded, day by day.

Just a heads up for all those who think that we have the right of “free speech” in this country. Unfortunately we do not get to pick the “judges” on that one. They are appointed, and we are at the whim of their opinions and beliefs. (You won’t get your day in court.)

To WTF and the rest. – if you can’t figure it out, you won’t know where to put the X on the ballot and we will get the same screwed up mess we have now, come October. Focus man, focus on the problem and not the “education envy” you have. We all pay the same taxes regardless of education, and I doubt if education got us into this mess. Look in the mirror. You are blaming the wrong person. He said what he was going to do, he did it, and now you complain. 2500 names on the Ratepayers petition mean diddly, it was the votes that counted. Wake up!

Anon 12:10

Okey, Dokey, I got my mirror in hand.