The way forward: Restoring our Community Pride and Spirit

Restoring our Community Pride and Spirit

Below is a comment found on a local blogger’s website where it went unappreciated (even unfairly ridiculed) for its depth of reasoning and understanding of our local situation. Hopefully, it will find a better home here where bloggers having a higher degree of intellectual capability and appreciation of thoughtful dialogue and discussion are known to reside. Oh, No! :-)

Doomsayer said…
Let us look at two military strategies which deny defending forces much chance of resistance even if the enemy is routed.

Salting the earth, or sowing with salt, is the ritual of spreading salt on conquered cities to symbolize a curse on its re-inhabitation.

Scorched earth policy is a military strategy which involves destroying anything that might be useful to the enemy while advancing through or withdrawing from an area. It is a military strategy where all of the assets that are used or can be used by the enemy are targeted, such as food sources, transportation, communications, industrial resources, and even the people in the area.

Emperor Decoux & his cronies certainly regard the rest of us as enemies. The scorched earth policy has certainly been used, firemen & volunteer boards targeted, equipment being sold off & parts of our infrastructure being closed, sold or under consideration of sale. His henchmen have been put into place, how long will we have to pay their wages & where will we find the money to do so? Do we continue to maintain the lords above at the cost of our seniors, infrastructure & lifestyle?

It is my opinion that this has been a concerted effort by Decoux to avenge some real or imagined slight incurred at some time in his life. Whether it was as a child growing up here or the fact that his boss at the university was a bred & born Pass resident, something has certainly got him twisted. His entire concept seems to be a desire to drag us poor stupid mountain hicks into the 21st century, regardless of any or all consequences. It is without a doubt that he knew pursuing the course he has would result in only one term hence the push for all the changes.

The biggest question of all is why the unanimous support of all the councillors? Are they all that gullible that Emperor Decoux was able to sway them or so stupid they couldn’t see the consequences? Why is it that until the rate-payer’s petition, there was never a hint of a dissenting voice? Even now at this late date, most are still maintaining closed ranks with Emperor Decoux.

This community will never be the same regardless of the results of the next election. What we had is gone, destroyed by men with illusions of grandeur, whether we can rebuild something that resembles a community remains to be seen. While I hope for the best, unfortunately I anticipate the worst.

“You have to believe in yourself. ”
― Sun Tzu

Comment:
I believe everything Doomsayer has said here up to the last paragraph is spot on. Therefore, I will not debate such. However, I do take exception, as I said, with the last paragraph and its negative, pessimistic tone which strangely at the same time contains a quote directly below it that seems to contradict it? Giving as it does an opposite view or opinion. Was this done deliberately with the intention of giving hope and/or inspiration? I don’t know?

Decades of mismanagement (as our current mayor is on record stating is what we received at the hands of our former mayor), is at the root of our problems. Add to that this mayor’s ‘final solution’ being worse than what was ailing us in the first place, and yes, serious questions are raised as to where we can go from here, if anywhere, after the next election.

Being an eternal optimist and pragmatist to boot, I do not believe things are as bad or hopeless as some suggest. With the right leadership things can be turned around. Certainly they will have to take a step back and reverse some of the damage that has been done by this current council but that in itself will be but a minor inconvenience consisting for the most part in changing/amending or doing away with certain bylaws, reorganizing administration with an eye to cuttings costs and unnecessary duplication by way of wage and managerial reductions i.e. more Indians less Chiefs at a cheaper price.

Fiscal responsibility, living within our means, and being realistic and practical with respect to our future economic outlook must also be taken into consideration. The fact is no mayor or council can promise or guarantee economic prosperity these days considering the current world economic situation, and the limited revenues – mainly property taxes and grants from senior levels of government – available to us. Being prudent fiscal managers, with an eye to self-sufficiency, innovation and creativeness is the best we can hope for. With the right team, this will be enough.

Restoring our community pride by bringing back our small town attitudes and ways is paramount here, as is enticing back former volunteers to return to the fold while encouraging new ones to join in, while at the same time instilling our ‘indomitable spirit’ and feeling of ‘Mountain Freedom’ in the air again, should be the first order of business.

With luck, TITV will return for next summer and in bringing it back we’ll all celebrate and party like we have never done before with friends, neighbours and visitors alike, while getting the message out to the world that… WE’RE BACK!

The future depends on what we do in the present.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The way forward: Restoring our Community Pride and Spirit

1. Jose says:

John, Good note by Doomsayer. he must be a product of the old education system when English and Literature were taught by dedicated and traditional teachers.

Good Comment by you also. It seems to lay out an election platform by you, and if you can follow this line it could win support if you decide to run. While Doomsayer does have a point in his last paragraph, the people in the Crowsnest Pass are resilient and have made it through rough periods before. Let’s hope that the community pride can be restored, the community rebuilt and that the present debacle can become just a bad memory.

2. The Doomsayer says:

John, I thought I would answer your query: Was this done deliberately with the intention of giving hope and/or inspiration?” with a quotation that hangs on the wall as I write.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” (Sir Winston Churchill)

Yes, I do hold hope for the future, I do strongly believe in myself & others just as I do believe that when people are pushed to the limit, they will stand & fight. It has been proven here, an entire community pulling together during the Lost Creek Fire, helping stranded motorists during blizzards & road closures and the list goes on,

For some reason, that community unity never seems to last. Yes, I said “I anticipate the worst”. A short term crisis is handled easily by people here, however, what we need is a long term commitment by most if not all of the community for a lot of years to handle the mess we have now.
    As Jose said in her comment, we need restored community pride, a rebuilt community & a faded memory but that doesn’t happen over night.

We may be in a fight where there is no hope of victory but if the community, as I do, believe in ourselves, there is a possibility of a new tomorrow.

Hmmm…..I always thought of Jose as a guy!

“Jose” could be anybody.Does not matter what gender.

Doomsayer,

Well said! Totally agree.

btw/ In phone calls and emails I have been receiving of late there is much curiosity and interest in knowing who you are? Like the Lone Ranger the question is “who are you oh masked one”?

Just thought I’d share that with you that you are somewhat of a superstar, right now. :-)

Jose is a guy… and a good guy to boot. Like Doomsayer, he is an interesting and knowledgeable fellow in his own right, who I am fortunate to know but more than that I am not at liberty to say. Some people want anonymity. I respect that.

The plan by the Mayor was simple: get rid of all of the “things” that unite the residents of the Municipality, using slash and burn. Then jump onto the new agenda and get it into place without voter involvement before they know what happened. He has succeeded and now it is up to those people interested in salvaging what is left and keeping the few good things that were accomplished. Can’t really think of anything specific to keep that we can afford to maintain.

Is there anyone out there, especially the Mayor”s and Administration supporters, that can list what we would want to keep?

Been thinking about Doomsayer and others comments. My observation is that those communities that have volunteer fire departments are more close knit than those that don’t, and there is more volunteering on community projects. This includes their family, friends and other residents. When this volunteer base is gone the place changes. Rum runner days will show if this is the case. Maybe the first crack in the Great Dividers empire started with Councilor Sage last night, lets hope so. Couldn’t come too soon.

I’m sorry to hear that Mr. Saje is not going to run again. He is the only one on present council I would vote in again. The earlier blog on decoux’s profiling is right on. The people that he went to school with, I was told did not like him. He was always trying to get someone into trouble. That seems to be his way of getting noticed, what a pathetic person.

Bruce should have stayed “gracefully retired,” at least we would not need to question his competency. Now he will need an entirely new group of people to impress from scratch.

10. The Doomsayer says:

Apologies to Jose :(
    We actually know a lady down south, good neighbor, who spells her name the same way but pronounces it Josie with a fascinating very soft “J”. Should have thought before I typed!

John, you never know, we may meet one day but you’re buying the beer :)

Anon 5:35 Mr. Saje may very well do a big flip flop and run again saying he was asked by many voters to please run again. He will not get my vote. It is a case of to little to late. Why wait for over 2 years into your term before you start rocking the boat? I think he can see that as a group they have failed the CNP and in order to get re-elected he must distance himself from the rest of council and even throw them under the bus( which is fine by me).
    I will respect him more if he actually does not run again.

Seeing as he is the only one with black hair, if he really wants to run again, he could at least wait a term or two. Actually, if he wants his hair to stay black longer, (although I am forgetting that most everyone dyes their hair these days, so you never really know,) he should wait a term or two!

Not that there is anything wrong with gray hair. Don’t everyone get all upset now! I’m just in a goofy mood.

Went and gave blood in Lethbridge the other day. The girls taking my blood were hoping that we were going to have TITV this year. I had to disappoint them. I told them we were working on it for next year. THUNDER!