Tidbits from around Town

Tidbits

Some of the interesting things being spoken about around town are…

Last night’s Council Meeting:
Apparently the Smokeaters (Firemen who put on TITV and are in the midst of lawsuits flying back and forth between them and our municipality) came as a delegation before council last night along with their lawyers (Val Danielson and one other) only to be told council would not receive them that night. Apparently, another screw-up, mix-up, miscommunication?

Seems to be a lot of them happening lately with the last one being only two weeks ago at the last council meeting when a delegation representing Wolfgang from Crowsnest Mountain Resort in Coleman was made to wait the duration of the entire council meeting before finally being able to address council during the Public Input session to find out their scheduled appearance before council had been cancelled, too. Both parties I mention here were not given the common courtesy and professionalism of being notified beforehand that their public forums had been cancelled, and thereby incurred unnecessary and totally avoidable costs, were inconvenienced, and miffed to say the least.

Andrew Saje:
When making his council member report Andrew mentioned he had been asked by residents if he plans on running in the next election, to which he replied that his short answer was no. The long answer is to be found in his report to Russell Farmer for the Municipal inspection and then he mentioned something about his lawyers, and curiously stated something about mayor and council can (will) be removed from office. This is quite interesting? If this is correct, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least the way mayor, council and administration have been playing loosey goosey with the rules and procedures governing municipal governance, including the recent revelations about their ‘secret meetings’.

Councillor Andrew Saje announces he will not run in the next municipal election this fall

M.D. Ranchland
Under correspondence, we all expected to hear about the letter from Ranchland telling council to get stuffed but that never happened? Guess it fell through the cracks somehow? What with the mayor and our CAO gallivanting around Vancouver this past weekend, on our dime, at the annual FCM convention? Who’s got time to make sure ‘bad news’ gets put on the agenda, as well as delegations that might rock the boat.

Medican
No announcement of an extension for the Medican conditions, no announcement of condition removals. Why not? Deadline for some of them was the end of May.

Fire Department Equipment, Vehicles and Land
As most people are apparently aware by now the municipality is planning on holding an auction to sell off what they feel is obsolete equipment and vehicles, including its been said, the actual fire hall in Hillcrest as well.

A friend of mine told me as he was leaving Hillcrest last night to attend the council meeting he saw our fire truck at the hall, upon his return later that evening, it was gone. Probably now sitting at the auction house.

Word is that this council is doing everything in their power to make it as difficult if not impossible for the next council (if wanting or desiring to go in that direction) of restoring our municipal fire department back to the way it was. By their actions and the speed in which they are doing what they are doing this apparently is not far from the truth.

Ratepayers Association
Readers may remember my blog post Ratepayers Contact Municipal Affairs over Council’s Secret Meetings of last week. Well the Ratepayers have been busy on our behalf with follow up communication to both Russell Farmer and to George Cuff. With respect to the latter, I have included the email exchange between Bill Kovach and quite an interesting and revealing reply from George Cuff. Check it out below.

The following is a letter to the Investigators at Russell Farmer regarding councils closed door ‘secret’ meetings.

Letter to Chris Hutchinson

Here is the email exchange between Bill and Mr. Cuff:

Dear Mr. Cuff,

This is not to involve you in our affairs with the Municipal council of the Crowsnest Pass but we feel we have to keep you informed since we have used your name in our correspondence. Please see attached letter to Chris Hutchinson of Russell Farmer & Associates Consulting Ltd. We suspect any advice given to our administration about any meetings was about meetings moving forward. Unfortunately, it appears to us they are using this advice to legitimize a series of meetings which already have taken place.

William Kovach, Petitioner’s Representative

William

Thank you for the clarification. I responded to a request for information which I presumed was to affect the situation going forward. My advice as I presented it deals with a CAO briefing his Council and was not intended to encourage Council to “move the decision-making yardsticks” in anything other than a public meeting UNLESS the matter was legitimately an in camera item. Even then, the matter must be voted on publicly by the Council. In all legal matters I defer to the wisdom of the Municipality’s legal counsel and/or that of Alberta Municipal Affairs.

George

NOTE:

I think there was something else I should have mentioned here but can’t think of it right now. When and if I do, I will include it here at the bottom, so check back and see. If anybody else wants me to add or include something they may be privy to but we are not, get back to me. Thanks!

We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are.

This entry was posted in CNP Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Tidbits from around Town

Bruce’s letter to Ranchland is in the Promoter and on the CNP site.

He says “Public consultation is a very important component of the process” and mentions a “discussion paper” and a “presentation package”. Any chance the CNP public will get to see these documents? I suppose we could ask Ranchland for copies.

Is the fire hall up for sale??? Has anyone seen it posted anywhere????

I think something involving supposed legal issues would have to be scheduled. Lawyers 101.

8:16 Do you think these lawyers just decided to show up out of the blue? My best guess would be that they had an appointment to speak or present something to council. Of course council being transparent and open with us all do not let them speak and we are all in the dark still.

Re Mayor’s letter to Ranchland: after pulling an end run on Ranchland and spending us into a Dark Hole, the Mayor talks “Mutual Sustainability”– as if Ranchland needs us. This isn’t their first rodeo.

Say I own the little house next to Bruce and his is paid for and mine is mortgaged to the hilt. I approach him and say “in our mutual interest”, let’s take down the fence between us and join properties. That way we can both enjoy your garden and swimming pool. You pay for all the costs for this from your bank account, then after that we will share the expenses. What do you say?

This guy is out to lunch and wouldn’t admit he is wrong if it was staring him in the face. The horse is out of the corral and now he wants to deal with Ranchland about closing the gate? This isn’t their first rodeo.

A proper lawyer would not be discussing at a council meeting. Both sides should have legal representation if that was the case.
    Lawyers try everything plus grandstanding I guess if they think they can get away with it.

8:16 wrote:
    “Are there lawsuits out there between the fire departments or smoke eaters or Jamie Margutek and the municipality? If yes, Why is this not a public issue. Without breaching FOIP this transparent council should at the very least be telling us who is suing who!!”

Right, court proceedings are public (some exceptions, eg. juvenile cases). The Promoter got info about the Chinook lawsuit, I wish I knew how they did that. There is also the action re “bundling” of the RiverRun properties.

The Guide (PDF) linked here
    indicates you can do a search for $10.

I thought Myron was supposed to give us a little update on when he was going to deal with the Drain Bros. and Siemens property cleanups at the June 4 council meeting. Ho Hum…..maybe the next one???? Of course I’d rather the potholes get dealt with. I’m getting tired of driving around the same ones all the time. The next thing you know I’ll get a ticket for stunting. Oh, maybe that’s the plan. Boost up the little P. Officer’s account a little?

While the Muni works on deals to bring us into the 21st Century, our roads are going to pot, our roads are graded by contractors (may be ok if the grader and operator together cost more), our service/operator staff is lacking –while they added to our Administration costs through a top heavy management staff. There is a misplaced priority here bordering on misplaced priorites and questionable management.

Their take is “if the Ratepayers, bloggers, critical residents and the Watch List people would leave us alone we could do our jobs”.

You know John from you being on council that you just don’t shows up to council meetings and expect to speak without being on the agenda. why are you talking stupid and saying this was a mixup?

@1:53 they are the only independent businesses that are generating any employment in the cnp. Maybe another restaurant that employs 4 people at min wage will help things. Or maybe your tax dollars should go to hiring some more administration personnel to offset the people they employ.

John talk stupid? Only when drunk… and that’s been quite a while. :-)

It should be obvious here what happened. The screw up is at the administration end (CAO) in not getting these matters on the agenda, after telling respective parties they would be on (lawyers don’t show up just on the spur of the moment and for the hell of it, they know how the system works) and when unable to do so (too much partying at the FCM convention in Vancouver? Not enough due diligence – taking care of business? :-0) Whatever? Failing to inform people beforehand shows a lack of both competence and professionalism, if not outright arrogance and indifference.

Wasn’t me that brought it up at the last meeting, was the Mayor. He’s concerned about what the tourists think. I didn’t really think we would hear any more about it. Looks like I was right!

They should have fixed few more pot holes instead of going to the convention in Vancouver. Weekend holiday on the senior housing reserve. Unbelievable waste when we have so little money in the reserves.

Why should Bruce worry about the senior housing reserves. I sure don’t think he plans on retiring HERE! What suckers we were. (Well I was anyway, but I know I didn’t vote him in all on my own…..!) I am PREPARING this time……as I believe most others are as well. Let the real games begin. Let’s take back OUR community. (Rumble…..Rumble…..FLASH)

John, maybe the thing you forgot to mention on your blog was the hiring of an EDO, Sherry Poole. Anybody know anything about this person.

This aqdministration has so many law suits against them, that I was told that it’s hard to find a lawyer an Lethbridge that is not smehow involved with them. I would like to see the how much we are into these lawyers. Are they not supposed to let the public know how we are being fleeced by these incompetants, or is this another BIG secret.

Sherry Poole
    Economic Development Officer at Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
    Edmonton, Canada Area Government Administration

June 6 @ 7:46

1:53 here. I apologize for my ignorance. But, I really didn’t mean it that way. Sorry.